FORUMS: list search recent posts

RED + Premiere Pro CS6 Gamma issue

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christian Seel
RED + Premiere Pro CS6 Gamma issue
on Jan 9, 2013 at 6:17:35 am

I'm working with 4K (4096 x 2160) .R3D files natively in PP CS6 (current update). The files were all shot in RedLogFilm but for some reason Premiere is interpreting in RedGamma2. When I open the same files in RCX-Pro they are in RedLogFilm. Has anyone encountered this before?

I plan to export the EDL for color correction in Speedgrade CS6 and I want to make sure I'll sill be working with the LogFilm not Gamma2.

Return to posts index

Sareesh Sudhakaran
Re: RED + Premiere Pro CS6 Gamma issue
on Jan 20, 2013 at 1:19:53 pm

You can try to reinterpret the footage. Does it give you the option?

http://www.wolfcrow.com - Workflow information and support for filmmakers, photographers, audiographers and videographers.

Return to posts index

Alex Elkins
on Jan 24, 2013 at 5:49:13 pm

Hi Christian,

Don't worry about this. The whole benefit of raw is that things like gamma aren't fixed. Interpreting the video in REDLogFilm or REDGamma2 is just a way of displaying the linear image that the R3D files contain. It's a bit like adding a grade to the video.

Premiere most likely defaults to REDGamma2 because it is thought of as the most pleasing image straight out of the camera. However, you can change this if you want by using Premiere's Interpret Footage command. If it were me, I'd edit using REDGamma2, then switch to REDLogFilm for the final grade as it offers a more neutral starting point. For editing though, most people just want a reasonably pretty image, which is what REDGamma2 gives you.

Alex Elkins
@postbluetv
http://www.postblue.tv
View my new colour correction reel

Return to posts index

Angelo Lorenzo
on Jan 25, 2013 at 2:51:25 am

Premiere Pro, once the R3D file is imported into your Premiere Pro project it makes a copy of the interpretation in the Project file. Any interpretations within Premiere aren't written to the RMD file unless explicitly done so. If Premiere misinterprets the Gamma Space then deal with it any way you wish; choose to correct it or live with it within Premiere, report it as a bug.

Speedgrade will properly read and interpret R3D/RMD settings and display the file in REDlogFilm. If it's solid in Redcine X then it's solid in Speedgrade.

--------------------
Angelo Lorenzo

Need to encode ProRes on your Windows PC?
Introducing ProRes Helper, an awesome little app that makes it possible
Fallen Empire Digital Production Services - Los Angeles
RED transcoding, on-set DIT, and RED Epic rental services
Fallen Empire - The Blog
A blog dedicated to filmmaking, the RED workflow, and DIT tips and tricks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]