FORUMS: list search recent posts

RED / Final Cut Pro 7.0.3 Workflow Disaster

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew Ingram
RED / Final Cut Pro 7.0.3 Workflow Disaster
on Dec 6, 2012 at 7:37:14 am

Hi there,

I'm not an editor I'm a Nuke/Maya guy but have got roped into helping a good friend with a Pop Promo he has cut so please excuse my ignorance. If I had been involved earlier I could have possibly prevented the slight car-crash that is the existing situation.

a) They have cut and composited in Final Cut Pro using 1920x1080 proxies of 5K plates.

b) Even though it is raw I am trying to use as much of the work they have done in Final Cut Pro as I don't have time to rebuild the very complex project from scratch.

c) A lot of the work in the edit has been in scaling up the proxies on the basis that when they came to online it they would have the latitude in the 5K plates to handle the enlargement.

d) What I would have liked to do is point Final Cut at the Full-res QuickTime exports I have made from Redcine X-Pro 16 - but obviously that destroys all the native compositing they have done in Final Cut which is in an HD comp and based upon HD footage.

-

Does anyone have a good suggestion as to how I might proceed?

Return to posts index

Sareesh Sudhakaran
Re: RED / Final Cut Pro 7.0.3 Workflow Disaster
on Dec 6, 2012 at 9:53:47 am

Mathew, even if you manage to get the 5K files scaled, there will still be a lot of tweaking because the colors will change. 5k is a lot more demanding. How do you know your comps will match?

If it were that easy we'd all be in heaven, but I guess you already realize that.

I don't have much experience with FCP, but can you port the project into After Effects using Automatic Duck? It comes free with CS6. It's faster to replace footage, scale/crop and check your comps at the same time. You can finish and grade in it too.

Hopefully someone with FCP know-how might chime in with an easier way.

http://www.wolfcrow.com - Workflow information and support for filmmakers, photographers, audiographers and videographers.

Return to posts index

Matthew Ingram
Re: RED / Final Cut Pro 7.0.3 Workflow Disaster
on Dec 6, 2012 at 9:57:13 am

Thanks very much Sareesh. That's very useful.

I do have AFX CS6 - I didn't know Automatic Duck came as standard with it - I used it many years ago as a plug-in when it was very expensive. Indeed that could make the situation much more manageable.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]