FORUMS: list search recent posts

REDCINE X Pro Exports XML Sequence at 24fps instead of 23.976fps?

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeremiah Belt
REDCINE X Pro Exports XML Sequence at 24fps instead of 23.976fps?
on Nov 26, 2012 at 11:37:52 pm

I'm trying to conform a feature length piece out of Final Cut Pro on a Mac Pro, into a Premiere project, and then open that Premiere project on a Windows based DaVinci system. The timeline is a mess of multiple formats. Exported out an XML from FCP and imported that into REDCINE X Pro 16 and reconnected all the Prores files to the original r3ds. I then export out the the xml file and open that in Premiere CS6. The exported timeline is somehow converted to 24fps and will not lineup with the original cuts of the 23.976 xml of the offline and various other clips. Why is REDCINE X converting the sequence to 24fps instead of leaving it at 23.976? Is there a way to override this? Suggestions?


Return to posts index

Angelo Lorenzo
Re: REDCINE X Pro Exports XML Sequence at 24fps instead of 23.976fps?
on Nov 27, 2012 at 9:02:17 pm

I don't have any 23.976 footage readily available (too lazy to dig through drives), but if you pop open your XML file in a text editor you'll probably see lines like this (spaces added so it could display on forum):

< name >Sequence 01< /name >
< duration >283< /duration >
< rate >
< ntsc >FALSE< /ntsc >
< timebase >24< /timebase >
< /rate >

Change ntsc to "TRUE" and you should get 23.976. If all your footage is the same then you may need to do a little "replace all" magic.

Take the suggestion with a grain of salt. It looks like it'll give you the results you want to keep working, but I would still check the edit points.

--------------------
Angelo Lorenzo

Need to encode ProRes on your Windows PC?
Introducing ProRes Helper, an awesome little app that makes it possible
Fallen Empire Digital Production Services - Los Angeles
RED transcoding, on-set DIT, and RED Epic rental services
Fallen Empire - The Blog
A blog dedicated to filmmaking, the RED workflow, and DIT tips and tricks


Return to posts index

Jeremiah Belt
Re: REDCINE X Pro Exports XML Sequence at 24fps instead of 23.976fps?
on Nov 27, 2012 at 9:18:23 pm

Thx for the tip and help! I will certainly look into that. I figured something like a text replace could do the trick since I have used such means to change clip extensions in the past. I was able to figure out a workaround but I will definitely try your tip to see if it works for future reference. The edit points were indeed the issue.

I ended up using RedCine X to make QuickTime wrappers with an FCP XML, which for some reason kept the 23.98fps. I then opened the incorrect 24fps RedCine X XML in Premiere and used its project management options to collect all the clients desperate R3Ds from all three of his external drives to a single folder on my raid. Then using the FCP XML of the QuickTime wrappers I opened that in Clipfinder and ran the conform tool to connect the wrappers to the newly collected R3D folder. From there I could open the new XML in Premiere with the R3Ds and proper 23.976fps. Then imported the original XML that contained the rest of the various DSLR, and DVCPRO footage of the edit and combined them back to a single timeline with the R3Ds. So now I have a final conformed timeline of all the R3Ds from both the Epic and Scarlet used, plus the various DSLR, DVCPRO HD, and archival footage. Now with all of that gathered into a single location I'm transferring the project to my online raid of my Windows DaVinci System where I will continue to migrate the sequence into Resolve. Crazy stuff. Sadly the client didn't get me everything and I am missing some clips...have to deal with that in another sequence.

Thanks again.


Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]