FORUMS: list search recent posts

RED 4K Green Screen Export to AE for Compositing

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeffrey Lonigro
RED 4K Green Screen Export to AE for Compositing
on Nov 21, 2012 at 10:00:26 pm

I have some RED 4K footage all green screen shot at 3840x2160. I have FCP X and Adobe Prem Pro CS6. I've tried both exporting out a DPX seq and they both give a very very flat washed out looking image when importing into After Effects. Any ideas why? Any suggestions on a better workflow? The AE artists wants the 4K for image re-framing, ect. My preferred editing software would be FCP X but will totally work in Premiere if that is a better solution.

Return to posts index

David Battistella
Re: RED 4K Green Screen Export to AE for Compositing
on Nov 21, 2012 at 11:28:37 pm

[Jeffrey Lonigro] " they both give a very very flat washed out looking image when importing into After Effects"

THis is most likely due to the GAMMA SPACE selected in the RMD file. If you are seeing a flat image then it usually means that the color space is set to REDLOG FILM. If you were to open the file and set the color space to REDGAMMA 3 ( you can do this in the latest version of FCP X FYI) Then you should immediately notice the blacks are "normal".

Many people go the REDLOG film route to extend dynamic range and to see the information in the blacks when grading. The REDLOG film color space allows you to see what information is in the blacks, better allowing the Colorist to put back as much black or to decide on how much noise reduction to add to dark images.

When you change the file in RCX or FCP X it changes a SIDECAR file in the R3D folder that controls the way the RAW file is displayed in apps like FCP X, Premiere and Davinci Resolve. So when you change it in one place, it will show up in the other apps as well.

David

Return to posts index

Jeffrey Lonigro
Re: ED 4K Green Screen Export to AE for Compositing
on Nov 22, 2012 at 12:41:53 am

Thanks. The thing is it looks "different" in FCP X and Adobe Premiere it just looks flat in the DPX output. I did a test in FCP and changed the RED look to some crazy tint and applied that. Yet still the DPX looks the same, flat.

Return to posts index

Angelo Lorenzo
Re: RED 4K Green Screen Export to AE for Compositing
on Nov 22, 2012 at 7:11:48 am

Actually, to elaborate on what David had to say, Premiere is unique in that it loads RED's RMD metadata into the project file and saves a copy. If the RMD is updated, it will not instantly reflect in Premiere until the settings are "reloaded". I created a free app to batch reset adjustments to RED files in Premiere Pro, so that it would reload current RMD adjustments.

http://www.fallenempiredigital.com/blog/2012/07/29/batch-reload-redcine-x-r...

--------------------
Angelo Lorenzo

Need to encode ProRes on your Windows PC?
Introducing ProRes Helper, an awesome little app that makes it possible
Fallen Empire Digital Production Services - Los Angeles
RED transcoding, on-set DIT, and RED Epic rental services
Fallen Empire - The Blog
A blog dedicated to filmmaking, the RED workflow, and DIT tips and tricks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]