FORUMS: list search recent posts

Red DIT training and job opportunites

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Kennedy
Red DIT training and job opportunites
on Oct 10, 2012 at 4:28:50 pm

Looking to change gears in the post world. I'll be moving to the LA area early next year and looking into training as a RED DIT. Before spending the money and investing time, I'm looking for feedback from RED users/shooters needs for RED DITs and the job market for RED DITs.
I have a strong technical background and have been working with digital workflows for several years.
I look forward to hearing from you. thanks

tim

Kino Pravda

Return to posts index

Angelo Lorenzo
Re: Red DIT training and job opportunites
on Oct 17, 2012 at 5:04:20 am

Look into attending REDucation.

If you're going to specialize in RED DIT, then a RED rocket is also a must.

I wouldn't train so specifically for RED, but the other camera formats are easy enough to handle. I would get use to seeing the file structure from P2 and XDCAM (SxS) based cameras as well.

I'm a slashy... I produce my own work but as a freelancer I call camera operating and DIT my specialties. It doesn't hurt that my partner and I also privately rent a RED Epic.

I also make a decent living from workflow solutions and custom software.

The jobs are there, but I tend to work within a small group of very active people.

Angelo Lorenzo
Fallen Empire Digital Production Services - Los Angeles
RED transcoding, on-set DIT, and RED Epic rental services
Fallen Empire - The Blog
A blog dedicated to filmmaking, the RED workflow, and DIT tips and tricks

Return to posts index

Matt Gerard
Re: Red DIT training and job opportunites
on Nov 13, 2012 at 4:10:10 pm

Agreed. You won't make a living only doing RED. As a DIT, you will be asked (nay, TOLD) to do alot more than just RED stuff. Depending on how serious you are and what your goals are, you will need to expend a bit of money in Drives, computers, backups and solutions for your clients. Every shoot has different requirements and deliverables. Some of the duties I've been tasked with on my DIT jobs-

Dailies
On set footage review
1st light pass outputs for edits
LUT creation for the cameras
Exposure advice from the DP

This is all in addition to archiving cards and creating backups.

Don't get me wrong, its a fun gig. I wish I did it more often. But, be prepared to be tasked with more than just the standard DIT duties. Here is a great blog from one of the best-

http://www.digitaltechnyc.com
Von Thomas has been doing this a while, and does training as well. give him a look.

Good luck!

Its more fun to ride a slow motorcycle fast than a fast motorcycle slow...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]