FORUMS: list search recent posts

Field Laptop suggestions?

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ed Christopher
Field Laptop suggestions?
on Oct 3, 2012 at 9:58:43 pm

Hello,

I am looking for a field laptop for realtime playback and basic editing (at 1/8, 1/4 or 1/2 resolution) of 6:1 4K RAW footage.

What would be the cheapest system for this? I've heard that a Macbook Pro might be ideal but this may be out of my budget. Would a model such as the HP ENVY 14-1201ea (Processor: i7, RAM: 8GB, Graphics Card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 (1 GB DDR5)) be approaching adequate?

I would be interested to hear what is the recommended minimum in terms of processor, RAM and graphics card for my requirements; and also if any peripheral hardware would make things cheaper and easier overall.

Additionally, is it true that editing with Premiere CS6 will be significantly easier (in terms of downconverting/transcoding times and other aspects) than Redcine?

Many thanks for reading and I look forward to your responses.

Return to posts index

Sareesh Sudhakaran
Re: Field Laptop suggestions?
on Oct 4, 2012 at 8:56:45 am

You might want to look at something like the ASUS 17.3-Inch laptop. Reasoning:

If you're editing you'll need as much screen real estate as you can get, and 13" ultrabooks don't cut it. Furthermore, if you want to run Speedgrade in CS6 or Resolve you'll need a 1080p laptop.

If you're not using a Red Rocket you'll need an i7 and as much RAM as you can muster, even though 8GB should be okay. RAM is no longer expensive.

You'll appreciate an Nvidia Card to enable the Mercury Playback engine for CS6. Forget ATI cards for this purpose.

You also left out one of the most important things - hard disks. The laptop I mentioned has an SSD for fast booting and apps, plus another drive for backups. You'll still need external hard drives.

It's the little things that matter. The more you skimp, the more time it will take to get things done on the field.

It might be out of your budget, but I hope this helps for starters.

http://www.wolfcrow.com - Workflow information and support for filmmakers, photographers, audiographers and videographers.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]