FORUMS: list search recent posts

Aquiring glass for RED

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Lawrence
Aquiring glass for RED
on Feb 28, 2008 at 6:02:41 pm

Greetings,
The D.P. I work with is getting a RED. Initially he will rent lenses. Is there a place that anyone can recommend for reasonable long term rental? We are in Colorado (Denver metro)

Also thoughts on good glass, inexpensive SLR prime adapter combo, etc.

If these questions are answered elsewhere a point out would be appreciated.

Thank You,

Video and Film
D.P., Direct, Post/efx
Kevin L

Return to posts index

Todd at Fantastic Plastic
Re: Aquiring glass for RED
on Mar 2, 2008 at 11:15:59 pm

Before we bit the bullet and bought a nice primes set, we used to rent from Armanada Costanza, Inc., in Nashville, TN.

http://www.acincnashville.com

They are great folks, have terrific inventory, and are very easy to work with. I believe they will ship anywhere.

They are about 100 miles from us, but countless times they have put the lenses on a Greyhound for us (very convenient since the bus station is only a few blocks from our studio). I'm sure they would freight them via other carriers as well.

I'm not sure what their long-term rates are, but their day rate for a decent primes set (I think it was four lenses) was $400/day, if I recall. I'm sure long-term is much less.

Your DP friend might be interested in this: when I was searching for a set I had found that the market had really dried up. A decent set that just a couple years ago could be had in the $10-$15K range... but they were hard to find at even twice that price, when you could find them (I'm assuming he doesn't wanna plop down $100K for new set of RED Cookes). After a couple of months of searching I finally found a sweet set of superspeeds from a DP in LA, although in the end I paid a lot more for them than I would have liked to (or orginally thought I would have to).

If RED makes an OCT-19 mount for the camera (I have no idea if they do, or will), a great option would be the sweet LOMO primes that are used on Konvas and Kinor Russian 35mm cameras. These lenses are are really incredible, and an unbelievable bargain... and fairly readily available. Sometimes you can even find LOMOs that have been PL mounted, but the OCT-19 mount is more common.

SLR lenses can be used of course, but it sure wouldn't be the easiest way to go. Those still camera lenses are often used with 35mm DoF converters and could be with the RED as well, but it would be a bit difficult to use. They focus ring turns so little to go from infinity to near that follow focusing is much much harder than with real cine lenses... where the focus range takes almost a full barrel turn. Considering that at least half of the RED footage I've seen is soft, focusing is critial. A good follow focus unit is in order, too.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]