FORUMS: list search recent posts

Using RED cameras for TV documentary

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Terry Nutkins
Using RED cameras for TV documentary
on Aug 7, 2012 at 10:55:42 pm

Hi there,

I am currently in pre-production on a documentary feature. While it will be initially taken on the festival circuit and exhibited in theatres I am also very keen to acquire TV broadcast subsequently.

I'm considering the RED Scarlet but want be sure of its broadcast capabilities before going through with the purchase.

I've heard that RED's codec is "too good" for TV broadcast systems and this has caused some concern. Is this actually the case? The BBC white paper on the RED One appears to approve it but no RED cameras appear on their officially sanctioned list.

Would be very interested to get some more insight on the topic. Many thanks if you can help!

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Using RED cameras for TV documentary
on Aug 8, 2012 at 12:44:05 am

That's silly- it's 4K/5K which is way better than any HD camera. On a technical level it's superior to pretty much any other 'camcorder' in existence. That said, the content and the cinematography don't make themselves so I'd focus on that. And don't go off the BBC's list as published- it's a guide at best and constantly in flux. Talk to whomever you're producing the show for. If you don't know who- with RED origination you are fine for any broadcast or theatrical outlet, that is if they like the content...

Noah

Call Box Training.
Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Panasonic AC160/130.

Return to posts index

Terry Nutkins
on Aug 8, 2012 at 12:45:34 pm

Thanks for the input Noah! I'm not doubting the technical quality of the camera - I was informed (perhaps misinformation) that TV broadcasting systems don't handle the RED codec/4k material very well (as its too good) and it might be necessary to record to a Nanoflash or equivalent. Please feel to correct me if this isn't the case.

As the project is strictly independent and still in its infancy there's no broadcaster in place that I can confer with at this stage.

Return to posts index

Roy Leon
on Aug 8, 2012 at 7:11:25 pm

Broadcasters have a hard enough time having any kind of uniformity on how the receive content.

Los Angeles Video Production

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Aug 13, 2012 at 5:54:07 am

4K downconverts to HD nicely- 'problem' solved.

Noah

Call Box Training.
Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Panasonic AC160/130.

Return to posts index

Terry Nutkins
on Aug 29, 2012 at 3:15:51 pm

ok, thanks for alleviating that concern

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]