FORUMS: list search recent posts

Frame Rate Trouble

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Sharp
Frame Rate Trouble
on Aug 7, 2012 at 7:28:59 pm

So I have a problem. I have a project with several interviews. We shot with two cameras, a Canon 5D and a Red One, and external audio with a zoom recorder. We have to output to 23.98fps. The problem is, none of our cameras shot at 23.98. Our 5D guy shot at 29.97 and according to the DP, the Red shot at 50 fps.

Now, I was able to transcode the 5D footage in MPEG Streamclip down to 23.98, The problem is with the Red footage.

Even though it was shot at 50 fps, for some reason the computer and Red Cine X are interpreting the video as 23.98 fps. As a result, it's not normal motion, it's about half speed. I've been running into trouble transcoding because when I try to run it through Compressor or MPEG streamclip and transcode it to 23.98, the computer thinks that it's already 23.98, so there's no change. I've been trying to change the interpretation using Adobe Premiere Pro, which has seemed to give me something close, but I can't get it spot on.

Any suggestions?

Bill

Return to posts index

Angelo Lorenzo
Re: Frame Rate Trouble
on Aug 9, 2012 at 1:38:12 am

In Premiere, interpret footage as 50fps, if you drop it on a 23.976 timeline then the clip conforms by dropping or, if chosen, blending frames.

Alternately, if you want to conform it with a tool like Twixtor then the speed difference from 23.976 -> 50 is 208.6%

What happens with RED cameras is you have two settings: frames per second and timebase. Frames per second is what the camera records and timebase is timecode base and speed the file plays back at.

There is no reason to transcode footage before editing as, again, Premiere will auto conform unless you like the blending MPEG Streamclip does.

Audio is framerate agnostic, and it's especially of no concern since the recorder (I assume an H4N) doesn't record a timecode track.

Angelo Lorenzo
Fallen Empire Digital Production Services - Los Angeles
RED transcoding, on-set DIT, and RED Epic rental services
Fallen Empire - The Blog
A blog dedicated to filmmaking, the RED workflow, and DIT tips and tricks

Return to posts index

Bill Sharp
on Aug 9, 2012 at 2:50:57 am

Thanks Angelo,

I ended up doing just what you suggested in Premiere. Its also nice to learn that about the RED, that's something I didn't know.

I learned a valuable lesson about the difference between 23.98 and 23.976 on this one.

Bill

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Aug 9, 2012 at 7:53:01 am

Bill,

Here is a primer I wrote about slomotion with RED camera.

http://library.creativecow.net/battistella_david/Film-Style-Slow-Motion/1

Maybe pass it along to your DP as well.

There is a big difference between TIMEBASE and FRAMERATE.

David

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]