FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sync and merge second-system audio in REDCINE-X

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Molenda
Sync and merge second-system audio in REDCINE-X
on Jul 11, 2012 at 9:21:15 pm

If I'm using REDCINE-X to sync second-system .wav files to my picture, can I have the audio sync directly to the footage without outputting to a new clip?

I'd like to edit the R3D clips natively in Premiere, but I don't want to use the Premiere merge clips function, which limits your ability to do things like replace clips and export XML and AAF.

I'd also like to avoid having to generate another duplicate set of my media, just to get sound to sync to picture.

Any help with this would be appreciated.

Return to posts index

David Battistella
Re: Sync and merge second-system audio in REDCINE-X
on Jul 16, 2012 at 9:30:58 am

Mike,

I see what you are trying to accomplish, but i think that really what you have to do in order to do this is maybe gang the clips in premiere. I'm not sure if it has that function but FCP and AVID do. This way you have have the clips attached and locked while you edit and then unlock them at the end of the process to do the various finishing.

RCX syncing tool is really meant for dailies creation.

The best place to do the "sync" is in your NLE with a non distractive way to sync. If you dig around maybe premiere actually already has this functionality.

David

Return to posts index

Mike Molenda
on Jul 16, 2012 at 12:57:06 pm

Premiere does have a merge clips function, but for some reason using it disables the ability to replace clips, and export XML and AAF (though EDL and OMF still work), among other things.

Which is why it would be handy to be able to sync before import, to save a little bit of work on the back end.

Return to posts index

Angelo Lorenzo
on Jul 17, 2012 at 9:04:59 am

Why merge clips (this creates a subclip in your bin/library) when you can do a simple grouping of clips? This just locks their sync and movement in the timeline.

Angelo Lorenzo
Fallen Empire - Digital Production Services
RED transcoding, on-set DIT, and RED Epic rental services.
Fallen Empire - The Blog
A blog dedicated to filmmaking, the RED workflow, and DIT tips and tricks

Return to posts index

Mike Molenda
on Jul 17, 2012 at 2:54:23 pm

This is another workable solution, but again one that only gets you halfway there. Either you have to do all of your cutting in the timeline, or cut audio and video in separately. Even if you're lucky enough to have matching timecode on your audio, this is still kind of a pain, and introduces an unnecessary extra step to making a simple cut.

Not to mention the fact that you can't preview your picture with sync sound until it is cut into the timeline.

For now, I've decided to use merged clips. This is going to be the best method for me in the end, I think. But it's not without its limitations, so if anyone has any other suggestions, I'd like to hear them!

Return to posts index

Angelo Lorenzo
on Jul 18, 2012 at 11:18:10 pm

Indeed, there are no solid ways that will work. Perhaps Adobe/RED can work together to bring in audio that has been synced using Redcine-X. That link is just more metadata in the RMD file so it's not like it's impossible. I think, though, the practical drawback is that it would still act like a merged clip when trying to export because how would other programs find the audio stream unless they, too, supported this kind of import?

I'm sure it's especially frustrating if you prefer working from the source monitor. I use a lot of second system audio when I edit my projects; I've trained myself to feel comfortable cutting from the timeline, or at least getting a rough cut to the point where I can start using trims and inserts.

Angelo Lorenzo
Fallen Empire - Digital Production Services
RED transcoding, on-set DIT, and RED Epic rental services.
Fallen Empire - The Blog
A blog dedicated to filmmaking, the RED workflow, and DIT tips and tricks

Return to posts index

Mike Molenda
on Jul 23, 2012 at 1:48:17 pm

An update: XML and AAF are enabled again if you unlink your audio from your video. Bringing the XML from Premiere into Final Cut (using a QuickTime-based sequence setting in this case), everything in the timeline works, but the previously merged clips in the bins now just have the audio tracks from camera.

So XML and AAF are available if you break sync-lock on everything (which I'd generally do anyway once I'm picture locked). And if you no longer need merged clips from your bins (again, if you're picture locked, not a big deal), XML and AAF are usable as exchange formats.

Return to posts index

Doug Beatty
on Jan 15, 2013 at 8:21:56 pm

I contacted Red support about synching in Redcine-X and importing into Premiere. The tech said to export R3D trims of the locked sequence, but for the life of me I can't find the option to export the trimmed BWF along with it.

Submit a batch sync feature request to Adobe here and hopefully they will give us something in the next point release.

Return to posts index

Afsheen Aziz
on Jul 30, 2012 at 7:13:10 pm

This is another workable solution, but again one that only gets you halfway there. Either you have to do all of your cutting in the timeline, or cut audio and video in separately.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]