FORUMS: list search recent posts

Frame Rate Issue

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Horwell
Frame Rate Issue
on Jul 10, 2012 at 6:11:49 am

Hi All,
I just wondered if anyone could help me; I'm working on a 25p project for UK tv and unfortunately some of my footage has been shot at 23.97 fps. Does anyone know the best way to convert the frame rate of these clips ? Merely outputting them at 25fps with REDcine seemed to result in a jitter every few frames. Would I be best off rendering them out at the original frame rate then converting them ?

I won't be taking from sound from the clip so I'm hoping that's one less thing to worry about.

Thanks in advance

Dave Horwell
Avid & FCP Editor

Return to posts index

Angelo Lorenzo
Re: Frame Rate Issue
on Jul 10, 2012 at 7:00:09 am

You're looking at a basic film->PAL conversion. Export at the framerate recorded, then in your NLE, conform/interpret the file to play back at 25fps. It will play back a little faster and the audio should be sped up a corresponding amount; if my math is correct it's 104.27%. This is assuming you're using audio from a secondary source and need to keep lip sync.

Beyond that, you're looking at a conversion in a program like After Effects where you can use Time Warp (based on The Foundry's Kronos) or a third-party effect like Twixtor for higher quality frame interpolation. You're making up frames to fill the gaps rather than playing it faster.

The first suggestion is probably easiest to deal with unless it's mixed in the sense that it's one side of coverage where you'll notice the pitch shift in audio.

Angelo Lorenzo
Fallen Empire - Digital Production Services
RED transcoding, on-set DIT, and RED Epic rental services.

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Jul 10, 2012 at 10:56:23 am

Adding to already excellent advice.

Consider also APPLE COMPRESSOR.

This software uses the optic flow technology from SHAKE (a while back probably the very best retimer out there)

If you set up a preset where you can convert your 23.976 RED footage to 25P then set the optical flow to high, then you can can use the new rendered material as "originals" and avoid trying to let NLE's doing the conversion.

Recently I did this with a film that needed to mix 23.976P and 24P material and the results were very good.

David

Return to posts index

Dave Horwell
on Jul 11, 2012 at 5:53:44 pm

Thanks so much for the advice, going down the 'compressor' route as it's similar to processes I've done in the past.
Ta !

Dave Horwell
Avid & FCP Editor

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Jul 11, 2012 at 5:56:23 pm

One other piece of advice is to run some tests before doing the batch.

David

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]