FORUMS: list search recent posts

Red questions

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Garcia
Red questions
on Jul 8, 2012 at 3:58:55 pm

I have two questions relating to Red camera...

1) How high ISO wise does the Red epic go?

2)I've noticed that a lot of films shot on Arri Alexa that get released in Imax get released on the imax digital format only, but on most red movies they get released on film imax as well as digital. Is that because Red has a much higher resolution than Alexa?

Return to posts index

Angelo Lorenzo
Re: Red questions
on Jul 9, 2012 at 5:11:24 am

1) ISO 80 to 12,800

2) On the surface, the answer could be yes. A 4K image could print out to IMAX film with better quality than a 2K image. I think the reasons are a lot more difficult to guess; mostly having to do with distributors and studios.

Angelo Lorenzo
Fallen Empire - Digital Production Services
RED transcoding, on-set DIT, and RED Epic rental services.

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Jul 9, 2012 at 7:19:10 am

Actually RED does not have ISO in the camera enabled BELOW 250, to that is the lowest ISO you can set in the camera.

The ISO question is somewhat irrelevant as ISO with RED is METADATA because RED Captures RAW images.

The camera ships with a "native iso" of 800 which offers some highlight protection and shifts the middle grey.

Many people rate the camera at between 320 and 800 ISO "depending entirely on the scene".

The fact is that the camera does not "shoot" 12800 ISO and that setting is not Baked in to the footage. even if you "shot at 12800 ISO you could "process" that footage at 320 ISO if you like.

David

Return to posts index

Angelo Lorenzo
on Jul 9, 2012 at 7:56:41 am

David, you got me there. I didn't recall the 250 iso limitation in-camera.

I also checked Redcine-X, and to modify my original, more blunt, answer it appears that the lowest iso with software is 50, not 80.

Angelo Lorenzo
Fallen Empire - Digital Production Services
RED transcoding, on-set DIT, and RED Epic rental services.

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Jul 9, 2012 at 3:16:35 pm

[Angelo Lorenzo] "David, you got me there. I didn't recall the 250 iso limitation in-camera.

I also checked Redcine-X, and to modify my original, more blunt, answer it appears that the lowest iso with software is 50, not 80.
"

Release notes in 3.0.7

It seems in the new release 3.3.3 it has been restored.

"Operational notes specific to Build v3.0.7:

* ISO setting limited to min of 250
* Image Magnify is available during preview, but not during recording.
* HD-SDI is True Progressive, and do not support 1080i or 1080 PsF signal formats. "

I'll boot up the camera and check it out.

Yes.

The user has always been able to drop the ISO in RCX but until recently it was limited to 250 at the camera end.
I'm talking EPIC firmware.

David

Return to posts index

Mike Lary
on Jul 9, 2012 at 7:30:47 am

The actual ISO equivalent of the M-X sensor with regard to responsiveness and targeted color science is 320 and 800 respectively. ISO is metadata, though, so there really is no higher ISO than the native equivalent of the sensor regardless of what options are available in-camera. Choosing a higher ISO setting is like cranking up a post gain control.

(edit: sorry David for cross-posting)

Mike Lary
Digital Factory
Seoul, South Korea

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]