FORUMS: list search recent posts

RED Workflow - Premiere Pro / Color Correction

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Trent Ubben
RED Workflow - Premiere Pro / Color Correction
on Jul 3, 2012 at 6:08:31 pm

Hi, I have a question about how to get the best possible look out of raw R3D files. I'm editing in Premiere Pro CS5.5.

In my workflow, should I do minor color correcting in RedCine prior to editing the R3D files in Premiere? Or should I just edit them raw in premiere and do all of the color correcting afterward? Does it matter? I'm going to use Colorista II, FYI. There is also 5D Mark III footage mixed in the film, FYI #2.

I just watched a tutorial about how Premiere works together losslessly with Redcine but didn't really understand the benefit.

Opinions?

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Angelo Lorenzo
Re: RED Workflow - Premiere Pro / Color Correction
on Jul 5, 2012 at 5:59:12 pm

It depends on what you have. If the files are wildly off, then I would adjust them to some baseline before color correction; maybe switching them to REDLog to gain some more head room for correction.

Editing the raw settings directly is cumbersome so unless you like the way some adjustments are performed, or need to perform some adjustments that look better at this level, like highlight recovery/DRX/FLUT, then it would be far faster and more intuitive to color grade with Colorista. The advantages include being able to more around the timeline and use the reference monitor to compare and match two shots and so on. Alternately, you can do as batch correction in Redcine X (this might force you to reload the footage or at least restart Premiere so the changes show up).

This is assuming you didn't set and load a "look" into your camera. Some larger products will set a slightly stylized look in Redcine X and then load it into the camera. The footage will have a bit more polished look and only then will it be slightly adjusted in color grade.

I suppose what I'm getting at is that there is no overwhelming advantage to doing all of your grading using the RED RAW interface and there are plenty of points where you can adjust colors within your workflow besides a final finishing step.

Angelo Lorenzo
Fallen Empire - Digital Production Services
RED transcoding, on-set DIT, and RED Epic rental services.

Return to posts index

david braman
Re: RED Workflow - Premiere Pro / Color Correction
on Jul 13, 2012 at 5:32:35 pm

We just got a Scarlet a few weeks ago, and after a lot of experimenting and tweaking in P-Pro what I think seems to be the most consistent, and fastest method is to pull the clips directly into Premier; open the RED files directly by right clicking/selecting "source settings" and then select "default" for the look (make sure to make note of the WB info...you'll lose that) Once in the sequence I find that applying Auto Contrast to the now flat shot brings the flat shot nice back in line. I can tweak the perimeters a bit to snap it up if needed.

It's not a full blown color correct, but it's fast, reliable, and produces consistently pretty shots

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]