FORUMS: list search recent posts

Red One Quicktime Proxies Color Shifting in FCP??? What the...?!

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nicole Elmer
Red One Quicktime Proxies Color Shifting in FCP??? What the...?!
on Jun 22, 2012 at 8:57:14 pm

Alright. This is very weird. I opened up a project in Final Cut Pro 7.0.3, one act from one my films, and it appears some of the clips have had some very VERY strange change in color information happen somehow.

Here's some project info:
1. The project was shot on the Red One back in 2008, and we've been editing with the medium Quick Time Proxies. "M" files. I did an XML eight months ago to reconnect to the 2k files. No problem.
2. I'm on a Dual-Core 2 x 2.66 GHz Mac with 11 MG RAM.
3. I am running Mac OS system 10.6.8
4. My files are on a Caldigit HDOne 8 TB RAID, and all of the firmware is up to date.

It looks like all three acts of my film (on three different project files in FCP) have some clips which look weird, meaning, the blacks and really crushed, and the whites are pushed hard. Some shots look even overexposed. I have not sent the project to Color, nor touched any Color effects in FCP. I can't figure out what has happened. I haven't done anything major to these project files.

To try to figure out the problem, I put some of the weird clips on their own timeline/project, created an XML, reconnected with all 4 type of proxy files one can create from the RAW files. They all looked the same, had the same color problems. I went to RedAlert and pulled up the R3d files, recreated a QT proxy from one of the weird clips, and it looks better once I imported it into FCP. It was missing the weird blacks/whites shifts.

Nothing has changed in the Video processing for FCP. It's still 10 bit in high precision YUV. Another project shot on the Canon 7D does have this issue with FCP. I also accessed copies of older project files from months back to see if they also produced the same results and they did. What about my RAID drive and the files there have caused this? Do I have to recreate QT proxies for almost every single effected clip on the timeline? Argh, that would be a nightmare.

Return to posts index

David Battistella
Re: Red One Quicktime Proxies Color Shifting in FCP??? What the...?!
on Jun 28, 2012 at 2:28:39 pm

Download REDCINE X from the RED website.

The RED color science changes about three times a year. For the latest color science you can use REDCINE X to get the best out of your RED footage.

This new color science is not backwards compatible with FCP 7. You can only use an older version of the color science if you want to edit with this version of software.

Might not be a bad idea to also download and reinstall the REDCODE FCS Studio installer as well.

Re reading your post, this might also be an OSX thing as they did go to 2.2 GAMMA as a standard.

I think that REDalert is no longer supported by RED. You can create new QT wrappers from within REDCINE X, but you have to turn on expert mode to use the color science that the project was shot with. This should give you the correct colors.

RCX creates new wrappers pretty quickly.

David

David

Return to posts index

Nicole Elmer
Re: Red One Quicktime Proxies Color Shifting in FCP??? What the...?!
on Jun 28, 2012 at 3:36:36 pm

Hi David,

Thanks for writing back. You are right. The older version of Final Cut Studio Installer fixed the problem. My clips in my 2008 generated project are back to normal. I'll keep your information handy should I shoot another project anytime soon!

Best,

Nicole

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]