FORUMS: list search recent posts

audio line input

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charles Binn
audio line input
on May 29, 2012 at 9:05:26 pm

Up to now I am using condenser microphones with 48V phantom power.

But how can I use the output of a mixer as an input for the camera? I cannot find any item in the menu to switch of the phantom power. And what else I have to change to get the line input working???

Thank you
Charles

Return to posts index

David Battistella
Re: audio line input
on May 30, 2012 at 7:25:56 am

The EPIC brain only accepts MIC level input. It DOES NOT accept line level in. Line level can be achieved with the PRO module.

You can attenuate the signal coming out of the mixer and convert it to MIC level if need be.

Many sound devices mixers allow you to set the output to LINE or MIC level. Obviously, once it is set to MIC level then you are fine.

David

Return to posts index

Charles Binn
on May 31, 2012 at 4:29:04 pm

Hi David,

thanks for the hint. Is it also possible to adjust the Mic input level with the Audio Pro module? Or do you know another way to adjust die input level without using the menu? You know for documentaries it is essential to adjust the audio level quickly without stopping filming. All my other cameras had small wheels to adjust the input level.

Charles

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on May 31, 2012 at 4:44:20 pm

I think if you want variable gain then you should attach a small mixer like a Sound devices mix pre. I think the camera input should remain constant and then you can adjust how much more you want at the mixer level.

I agree that it's nice to be able to adjust a small wheel, but as you know, cranking that up too much can add noise and other problems.

I think it's best to have a dedicated audio professional responsible for sound recording, but those times when you are on your own, in those point and shoot situations, you have to get the best sound you can.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]