FORUMS: list search recent posts

wildlife shooting with Epic

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charles Binn
wildlife shooting with Epic
on May 4, 2012 at 9:53:13 am

Hi,

I have to shoot some wildlife shots with the Red Epic.

As there is no pre-recording up to now I have to record for a long time until the event – I am waiting for – happens. Is it possible to set a marker while recording to find back the event in the endless clips?

Very often I have to change between 24 and 300 fps. To change the frame rate takes a lot of time (for wildlife shots). Is there any possibility to toggle between 24/300 fps?

Thank you
Charles

Return to posts index

David Battistella
Re: wildlife shooting with Epic
on May 4, 2012 at 6:15:24 pm

[Charles Binn] "As there is no pre-recording"

This is true and too bad. The RED ONE has this functionality so perhaps you can use a RED ONE?

[Charles Binn] "Is it possible to set a marker while recording to find back the event in the endless clips?"

NO. Not hat I know of.

[Charles Binn] "Is there any possibility to toggle between 24/300 fps?"

This is a rather quick (compared to RED ONE) on the EPIC. IT really means changing three things.

1. Frame size
2. Frame Rate
3. Compression settings

I made this feature request to RED about seven months ago. They have not implemented a tone of new features in the FIRMWARE.

There are two that I really miss compared to the RED ONE.

1. Timelapse with intervalometer function
2. Pre record function

But the EPIC is so superior in so many ways, especially form factor.

David

Return to posts index

Curt Pair
on May 4, 2012 at 10:34:46 pm

Charles,

I agree with David on several of the points. However, a few questions must be asked, because I feel David made some assumptions.

Are you shooting in 5K (or 4K) "originally" at 24P and then switching to say 300 fps? If so, then David is 100% correct. You have to change the frame size, frame rate, and compression settings. However, if you're at 2K, that's not necessary. Just change frame rates.

I would almost recommend staying at 5K and switching between 24 and 120 fps! Even folks at Red suggest using Twixtor to increase frame rates beyond 120! (http://www.revisionfx.com/products/twixtor/overview/)

Depending on your equipment, you can program buttons on the LCD or DSMC side handle to jump into the frame rate section of the menus for quick changes. This of course works VERY well, if you shoot the same compression scheme the entire time! You'd be amazed at what you can shoot 10:1 and so on!

I agree with David... I wish there was a "picture cache" function on the Epic. I'd love that intervalometer too! Patience...

Curt

Curt Pair
Picture This Productions
Red Epic M #565
Sony ICE Team
F800/F350/PMWF3/F900/PMW700/EX1/EX3/D790/D600
Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 HD/Matrox Axio/MX02 Rack
DSCLabs|Nexto NVS 2500|Convergent-Design nanoFlash|GoPro|Westcott
Phoenix, AZ

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on May 5, 2012 at 6:02:38 am

One other feature request I have made was a one button mode to do these kinds of quick switches.

IE:

Button A 24@/ 180 degree shutter/5k ff
Button B 300fps / relative shutter/ 2k

You get the point.

I have to say that 300fps is pretty nice but I pretty much stay in 5k and up the speed from there. I'd rather have less frames at the full resolution than the extra frames at 1/4 the resolution.

David

Return to posts index

Charles Binn
on May 9, 2012 at 12:14:50 pm

Hi all of you,

thanks a lot for the answers.
My suggestions:
- Pre-recording: in my former life I was a software engineer in Quebec and Paris. To add this feature to the Epic cannot be a lot of work for Red. Just open a ring buffer like file on the SSD and write continuously into this file. When the start button is pressed just expand this file as a non-ring buffer file. But I guess Red is aiming more at the cinema market than at the independent documentary market. But for me this is a very big market.
- As I am working for TV I normally film in 3K. For me and my broadcasters that’s enough oversampling.
- 2K WS looks very good. So why should I use less frames? No software is able to interpolate the behavior of feathers or something similar complex. Twixtor is good for solid objects that don’t change much between 2 shots.
- But even to change from 2K/24fps to 2K/300fps takes a lot of time (for wildlife shooting). I worked with a Panasonic Varicam. On one user button I was able to toggle between 24 and 60 fps. That was really fast. But you had to turn the iris ring to correct the light. With Epic this would be easier because in relative shutter mode the shutter will adapt by itself.
- Intervalometer: If you use the Schmidt trigger option on the Epic - just build or buy a remote cable trigger and add a TRS (stereo audio) plug female. Use a Canon DLR camera timer to get interval shots. Works fine! I get much better pictures from the Epic as from a Canon 7D.
- To set a marker while recording would also be a good feature to mark stunning shots etc.
Thank you all
Charles

Return to posts index

Matt Gerard
on May 10, 2012 at 3:06:46 pm

Check out the new Beta Firmware build here-

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?78827-Beta-Camera-Build-3-2-8/p...

Then, check out Trent's wonderful thread on customizing your buttons,

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?78838-Customizing-your-camera-w...

I believe with the new more flexible ways of programming the softkeys on the sidehandle and redmote, you might be able to get the one button functionality that you are looking for. I believe you can program 2 "presets" for the camera and have a softkey programmed to switch between the 2. I haven't tried it yet, its a beta firmware release and my boss hasn't authorized me to pull the upgrade yet, as we might have some jobs int he near future for it and don't want to risk the production to a beta build of the firmware. Although it is a cinch to roll back :)

It might take a bit of messing around to get it to work, but let us know how it shakes out.

On the prerecord thing, if RED hears enough from the users about it, they will implement it. Might take a while, but they are very responsive to their users.

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?76814-prerecord-mode-wanted&hig...

Matt

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]