FORUMS: list search recent posts

RED Epic - One SDI signal to rule them all! Is this setup possible? (schematic attached)

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Mousel
RED Epic - One SDI signal to rule them all! Is this setup possible? (schematic attached)
on May 4, 2012 at 12:19:40 am

Hello,

I'm looking to purchase some gear in the near future and wanted to see if anyone here could weigh in on whether this Epic buildout would work. Want I want to do is take the SDI signal from the RED, patch it through a Black Magic HyperDeck Shuttle (SSD recorder), send it out from there to a SmallHD DP6 SDI monitor and send it out yet again to a TeraDek Cube (wireless HD encoder). Here is a mock up of what I'm talking about for ease. Note: Both the SSD recorder and the SDI monitor feature SDI-Out 'loop through'.

Thanks,
Eric

Return to posts index

Curt Pair
Re: RED Epic - One SDI signal to rule them all! Is this setup possible? (schematic attached)
on May 4, 2012 at 10:38:15 pm

Eric,

I see no reason why this wouldn't work! I've actually used similar setups! I came out of the Epic to a Cinedeck, looped that to a Convergent Designs Gemini, looped that to a Pix 240, looped that to a convergent design nanoFlash, looped that to a 24" monitor.

I was testing to see if would work, and I was doing testing of various codecs to compare them for clients.

I think you're smart in leaving the Teradek for last...

Give it a shot! It should work great!

Curt

Curt Pair
Picture This Productions
Red Epic M #565
Sony ICE Team
F800/F350/PMWF3/F900/PMW700/EX1/EX3/D790/D600
Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 HD/Matrox Axio/MX02 Rack
DSCLabs|Nexto NVS 2500|Convergent-Design nanoFlash|GoPro|Westcott
Phoenix, AZ

Return to posts index

Eric Mousel
Re: RED Epic - One SDI signal to rule them all! Is this setup possible? (schematic attached)
on May 5, 2012 at 10:19:20 pm

Thanks, Curt!

Acquiring this equipment is predicated on landing a production my company has bid on. If we secure the work (fingers crossed!) I'll let you know how it goes.

Eric Mousel
VP, Visual Effects Sup.

Return to posts index

Matt Gerard
on May 10, 2012 at 3:10:43 pm

Yes, I've used setups like this on other camera rigs, and they tend to work just fine. My only concern would be a delay inset. We use a KiPro Mini on the back of our AF100 rig, and it introduces a delay of 1-2 frames on the loop through SDI signal. Very annoying to the point where I (gasp) split the SDI signal with a BNC T adapter to shoot to the client monitor, and to the kipro so the clients won't be questioning the delay. I still monitor through the KiPro Mini, for safety and for playback checks. The Panny 17" monitor I use actually has an SDI signal strength meter in it, and even when I split the signal it shows 95%.

Let us know how it works!

Matt

Its more fun to ride a slow motorcycle fast than a fast motorcycle slow...

Return to posts index

Eric Mousel
on May 30, 2012 at 5:55:33 pm

Thanks for all of the tips, Curt and Matt. I ended up running the EPIC SDI into a PIX 240 (which is amazingly versatile), into an IDX Cam Wave (which was bloody awful) and finally into a Small HD DP6. Everything went well, with the exception of the IDX. It worked occasionally but would lose signal for no apparent reason and was mostly unreliable, even after adjusting channels and maintaining line-of-sight with <100ft distance.

Cheers!
- Mousel

Eric Mousel
VP, Visual Effects Sup.

Return to posts index

Curt Pair
on May 31, 2012 at 1:36:26 am

I tell you... without spending a TON of money on wireless, there just isn't a good solution out there. I'm talking $10K or more. I have a Coherent system (SD), CanaTrans (SD it works well, but can overpower audio too!), and a Wevi (older model, not the new one). None are what folks expect.

HOWEVER: that being said... Red has a new wireless module that they are planning to sell for about $2K, and it's terrific. They had it in use, kind of secretly at NAB. I NEVER saw it waiver, break up, anything of the kind... even with HUNDREDS of people in the room and between the transmitter and receiver. You can also get it as part of the more expensive Meizler module...

Good luck. Glad to hear it mostly went well.

Curt Pair
Picture This Productions (Phoenix, AZ)
http://www.picturethisproductions.net
#CurtPTP | Facebook | LinkedIn

Red Epic M No.565
Sony ICE Team: F800/F350/PMWF3/F900/PMW700/EX1/EX3/D790/D600
Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 HD/Matrox Axio/MX02 Rack
DSCLabs|Nexto NVS 2500|Convergent-Design nanoFlash|GoPro|K5600|Westcott|ONiCAST|Bright Tangerine

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]