FORUMS: list search recent posts

HD to SD back to HD via Compressor

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Bautista
HD to SD back to HD via Compressor
on Feb 8, 2008 at 10:04:58 am

Hi All,

I have a friend who is shooting his short film on the Red Camera. He is shooting it in 4K HD at which point we transcode it from the RAW data stream into a Quicktime file that is a 4K. From there I've used Compressor and a small cluster of G5s to bring the dailies down from the 4K Quicktime to a manageable DVCPROHD 720P codec so that I can cut offline in Final Cut Studio 2. However, my friend wishes to have a Master Sequenced onlined at the original 4K. I figured, "easy enough" since I thought that I could just use Media Manager to create an Offline Copy and then reconnect to the identically named Quicktime 4Ks, rather than having the files point to my easy-to-edit DVCPROHD clips.

The result is an absolute mess. Final Cut places the In and Out points incorrectly at the beginning and end of each clip regardless of where they were in the "offline" DVCPROHD clips! And I HAVE to use Compressor to do the conversions from 4K Quicktimes since I use the Quickcluster feature to tap my networks idling machines, otherwise doing the conversion on one computer takes hours for the dailies for that day!

I've tried doing EDLs and XML exports of my "offline" cut but similar problems of incorrect In and Out points occur. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Brian

Return to posts index

Gunleik Groven
Re: HD to SD back to HD via Compressor
on Feb 8, 2008 at 2:45:42 pm

Hi

I hear you on the "have to use copressor" issue, but I think that may be part of your problem..

IanBloom has made an XML hack to be able to create pull-lists for RedCine after editing in FCP. Then you can just use the proxies as dailies AS LON AS YOU EDIT ON AN INTEL MAC.

Secondly, you want to edit 4k in FCP.

That is not adviceable, to put it mildly.

here's a link to redTrip

http://www.redhax.net/wiki/RedTrip

RedAlert has come witha commandLine version, which also could be your friend. In intels...

Gunleik

It's gonna be a Red Hot Year
http://www.vulture.no/Websted/Reel.html

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]