FORUMS: list search recent posts

RED EPIC converting files to ProRes

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
viking jonsson
RED EPIC converting files to ProRes
on Feb 13, 2012 at 9:17:45 pm

Hello,

I need some guide lines, if I want to transcode the RED EPIC-files to ProRes whats the best, fastest and cheapest (preferably for free) way to do it? REDCINE-X?

thank You

Regards
V

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: RED EPIC converting files to ProRes
on Feb 13, 2012 at 11:37:12 pm

To be honest- there's no fast cheap way to do this. If you don't have or rent a RED Rocket card nor have a top-end Mac Pro you're looking at significant render times- i.e. plan for overnight dailies. RED's software is the way to go though.

Noah

Call Box Training.
Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Panasonic AC160/130.

Return to posts index

Mike Most
on Feb 14, 2012 at 5:25:20 am

That all depends on what quality is required. If the files are going to be used for offline editorial only, there's no need for Red Rocket cards or full debayering. If you set up for, say, 1/4 debayer, and possibly use 720 rather than 1080, you can generate Prores editing files faster than real time on many machines. If, however, the files are going to be used all the way through finishing, that represents a different situation and a different requirement. In that case, better quality is expected, and the transcode time will go up accordingly if you're not using the Rocket card.

Return to posts index

viking jonsson
on Feb 14, 2012 at 10:38:10 am

Thank You!

I think the ProRes-files if for offline only. I guess they want the files at high resulotion, I don't think there will be any RED Rocket..

But should I use REDCINE-X then or is there other software that does this faster and safe?

Regards
Viking

Return to posts index

Sara Axelsson
on Mar 14, 2012 at 10:05:39 am

Sorry to be bothering you with this question but of all the forums I searched this thread is the most related to my question.

So I'm exporting Red Epic material from Redcine-X. They have filmed with HDR and one clip takes about 4 hours to export! The clips is about 1gb to 5gb.

I'm exporting to 1920x1080 prores 422 HQ.

When I have done exports before, but then without no HDR, it takes 10-20 min. Not 4 hours!

My question is if the HDR makes that much time difference when exporting?

Sara

Return to posts index

viking jonsson
on Mar 14, 2012 at 2:50:22 pm

Hello,

I think it is cause of the HDR export and no Red Rocket.

OBSERVE! I myself have not been working with the HDR functions so please wait for more answers.

Good luck!

Regard
Viking

Return to posts index

Sara Axelsson
on Mar 14, 2012 at 3:54:02 pm

I have written to RED so I hope they will clear this out. At the moment I'm converting with media encoder and it's work well.

Thanks Viking for your input!

Sara

Return to posts index

viking jonsson
on Mar 14, 2012 at 6:50:08 pm

look at http://www.r3ddata.com/

Friend of mine recommended it, haven't had the change to try it. Maybe that will slove the problems You have.

Regards
Viking

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]