FORUMS: list search recent posts

cores and speed

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Hansen
cores and speed
on Jan 24, 2012 at 9:55:20 pm

Haven't found a recent, recent post on this - apologies if it's buried elsewhere.

Going to be working on RED 4K Raw files in AE 5.5 (some visual FX) and it's time for a new machine.

Budgetarily speaking, I'm looking between 4 cores at 3.2ghz or 8 cores at 2.4ghz with 32gigs of RAM. Documentation from the RED plugin calls for a minimum of a 3.0ghz quad core. Does the 8 core trump this, or come in with a tradeoff being a slower clock speed?

I understand it probably depends on what I'm doing, but we're talking manageable layered comps, rotoscoping, etc.

Thanks for the help. I'm new to RED footage.

Dave

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: cores and speed
on Jan 25, 2012 at 1:05:05 am

Have you considered a RED Rocket Card instead? That will make even a modest system rock the house on RED footage...

Noah

Call Box Training.
Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and GoPro HD Hero.

Return to posts index

David Hansen
on Jan 25, 2012 at 1:22:32 am

I suppose if I was making a dedicated migration to RED footage that would be ideal, but it's hard to justify that singular cost for a sideways foray into one job. It's a convergence of things (mostly hardware failures) that require I do a system upgrade. The RED job just tipped the hat.

Return to posts index

Tony Segreto
on Jan 28, 2012 at 10:00:24 pm

Right now I am using an 8 core system at 2.8 ghz. Honestly the more cores will speed up your renders/encodes much more than a 4 core system will. The footage may not buffer as quickly or scrub as quickly, but the time you save during rendering and transcoding is definitely better in my book.

http://www.VigilanteHD.com - New York Video Production

Return to posts index

Brandon Morris
on Feb 23, 2012 at 2:01:55 am

Will RedCine use all 12 cores or all 64GB RAM? It doesn't seem to be using them all.

Brandon Morris
Co-owner/Creative Director
http://www.fugostudios.com

RED Scarlet, Canon T2i, Panasonic HPX-170
Nikon Primes
Mac Pro 12-core 64GB RAM (2011)
Mac Pro 8-core 12GB RAM (2008)
Mac Pro 4-core 8GB RAM (2006)
13" Macbook Pro (Mid 09) 8GB RAM Lion

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved