FORUMS: list search recent posts

Red Epic and FCP workflow having transcoded ProRes offlines outside of FCP

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Gibling
Red Epic and FCP workflow having transcoded ProRes offlines outside of FCP
on Jan 15, 2012 at 11:49:42 pm

Hi all,

A quick couple of questions regarding Red Epic and fcp 7 workflow.

I have just shot on Red Epic 5k and had my DIT transcode the rushes into Apple ProRes (lt) for my offline edit on my iMac using FCP7

When I have shot Red before (Red One), I have followed the procedure in the helpful RED-fcp white paper and transcoded to ProRes during the fcp ingest process via the Log and Transfer window. Thus the entire workflow, through to the onlining back to R3D and taking into colour has been straight forward.

But having had the DIT transcode the rushes outside of the FCP workflow I am faced with two questions:

1) How do I import and log the files in the proper manner - ie half the benefit of transcoding in Log and Transfer is the logging part - creating my own log notes as well as having the correct reel no. baked into the logged clip. Now it would seem I am almost searching for an 'Log and Import' window that does not exist - do i just have to edit the clip details directly in the bin?

2) The entire process of onlining my project after the edit. All the transcoded ProRes(lt) files have had the file names kept the same as the r3D files, but this (aside from duration etc) is all that really equates them to the r3D files. Through not using the Log and Transfer process, I am outside of my usual workflow and knowledge-base and do not want to make a vital mistake at the offline stage. Can I even online the Epic 5k files for fcp, and export to colour? Do I have to use Redcine-X to online in Redcode 2k? Do i just forget the redcode and online in ProRes 4444? How do i compile my online and just online the portions of the clips that are used in my sequence - is this done with an EDL / XML? I am very ignorant about EDL methods and have just let media manager take me through the process all neatly before...

There are great guides to the Red-fcp workflow on here and the wider web, but i would seem now the helpful DIT has transcoded for me, I am outside of the normal fcp flow and in unfamiliar teritory without a walk through guide!

Any suggestions on the best offline/online workflow from here on in would be most appreciated!

Many thanks,
Dan

Return to posts index

David Battistella
Re: Red Epic and FCP workflow having transcoded ProRes offlines outside of FCP
on Jan 20, 2012 at 3:43:57 pm

[Dan Gibling] "1) How do I import and log the files in the proper manner - ie half the benefit of transcoding in Log and Transfer is the logging part - creating my own log notes as well as having the correct reel no. baked into the logged clip. Now it would seem I am almost searching for an 'Log and Import' window that does not exist - do i just have to edit the clip details directly in the bin?"

You can use the .mov extension to do your edit, but you will have to do a bit of XML cleanup and relinking work when you are done to have the XML's read the R3D. A program called Clipfinder does this flawlessly where you point the XML to the R3D folder and the files are relinked and a new XML is generated.

Just import the files into FCP and start editing. I am assuming the DIT did not change any filenames, etc.

[Dan Gibling] "Can I even online the Epic 5k files for fcp, and export to colour? "

No. You can not use Color and Epic 5K material, You can try to generate Quicktimes but it seems that the current QT player/red plugin does not support 5K material or the "old proxy way of doing things.

This article sort of applies to all RED EPIC footage.

http://library.creativecow.net/battistella_david/FCPX-and-RED/1

David

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]