FORUMS: list search recent posts

First Ever Red Epic shoot: A few workflow questions.

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Luke Ogden
First Ever Red Epic shoot: A few workflow questions.
on Dec 21, 2011 at 11:02:00 am

Hi All,

I've been given a brief which requires me to produce a rather unusual 1080x 3840 (tall and thin) deliverable video.

My plan is to use a RED Epic for the shoot, shooting on it's side 90 degrees in 4K 16:9 in order to obtain my images (think thats right, please let me know if there's a better option).

My main queries are to do with the workflow, I want to edit in Final Cut as its my preferred editing tool and i'm doing the reading up using the whitepaper.

Heres the plan:

-Convert all footage into 2k ProRes 422(HQ) for an offline edit in FCP

-Setup a Custom Sequence with the necessary 540x 1920 dimensions (half size).

-Edit away

-Take the project to a post production house to take it all online with the 4k footage.

-Grade the new 4k project in Color

Besides the importance of keeping the file structure created by the RED what else should I consider?

Or is there a much easier way to do this? I'm very open to ideas and love learning new techniques.

Would Final Cut X or Premiere CS5.5 be easier? I've used prem before. As I recall they can both edit the 4k RED footage natively.

thanks guys

Luke

Return to posts index

Ryan Mast
Re: First Ever Red Epic shoot: A few workflow questions.
on Dec 22, 2011 at 5:47:51 pm

If you're familiar with Premiere, I'd highly recommend using that instead of Final Cut for this project. Final Cut isn't very tolerant of odd frame sizes, and Color won't even work with EPIC raw files. Premiere and After Effects are awesome for creating odd frame sizes.

When I was editing EPIC footage for the video walls for the BET Soul Train awards (a very non-standard output format) in November, I graded all of the EPIC footage first, rending to ProRes. Then I brought the ProRes files into Premiere and worked from there, so my final output came from Premiere and After Effects. I had to adjust color and levels a wee bit in Premiere/AE, but most of the look was done and baked in. Since we had to go through several iterations of the edit very quickly before delivery, we didn't have time to go through grading after the edit, so grading first was definitely the best way to handle the media for our needs.

How much compositing, reframing, animation, etc are you doing with the EPIC footage as you edit? If you're just doing a simple edit, you might be able to grade in Resolve and grade/render to 1080x3840 from there.

--
Meteor makes pretty.

Return to posts index

Luke Ogden
on Dec 23, 2011 at 9:28:36 pm

Ryan thanks so much for this, such a great help. I've a lot of experience in AE but the last time I used Prem properly was 3-4 years ago, I'll certainly have to brush up but (following the release of the lackluster FCPX) I was considering using Prem more in my editing anyway. It comes as welcome news that I might be able to grade, edit, and composite in what I hear is these days a very well linked suite of programs, despite this obscure output.

workflow wise would I use proxies or just rely on Prem's ability to edit the native EPIC files (I remember hearing thats possible somewhere).
I suppose it depends on the power of the computer, which will likely be a new iMac along these lines

3.1GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
8GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB
1TB Serial ATA Drive + 256GB Solid State Drive
AMD Radeon HD 6970M 1GB GDDR5

thanks again

Luke

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 26, 2011 at 8:06:10 pm

Be sure to use the final cut pro keyboard setup in premiere. You will get up and running pretty quickly that way.

If you knock the playback resolution down in PPro, you should be able to edit Epic files on an iMac.

Return to posts index

Ryan Mast
on Dec 26, 2011 at 8:17:01 pm

Yeah, Premiere's grown a lot in the last two years. I still don't like its interface for editing, but its honey badger approach to output formats makes it awesome for applications like this.

Get 32GB of RAM in that iMac. After Effects wants at least 2 GB per core, and it will treat yours as 8 cores. It will eat every last bit of RAM you can feed it when working at high resolutions.

Grade in RedCineX or Resolve. Premiere's color correction tools are imprecise and slow, and Color Finesse doesn't offer much control beyond a nice curves adjustment.

--
Meteor makes pretty.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]