FORUMS: list search recent posts

RED Epic - track shot footage

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Antoine
RED Epic - track shot footage
on Dec 14, 2011 at 3:26:19 pm

Hello,

I have access to the content of a downloaded RED Epic disk from which, according to the director, a few shots are missing.
Note: the shoot took place a few weeks ago, and we're working with the footage that our loader saved for us that day.

As far as I know, all the footage that was recorded on set has been saved. But, the director's adamant that the images he's trying to find were shot.

Would there be a way for me to find out if footage that was shot is missing from our archive, by looking through the metadata for instance?

Thanks,

Alex

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: RED Epic - track shot footage
on Dec 15, 2011 at 1:12:55 am

Sort by timecode if you were running rec run instead of free run?

Return to posts index

Alex Antoine
on Dec 15, 2011 at 10:50:31 am

Jeremy,

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately, I can't implement your solution: we're not in shooting mode anymore. The Epic was returned to the rental house two weeks ago.

At this point, I only have access to the content of the disks that was archived that day.

The structure of those folders is as follows:

A main folder named something like "A028_11246J.RDM" in which you have other folders containing the R3D files. The structure is sound and works.
Note: we also have the "digital_magazine.bin" and the "digital_magdynamic.bin" folders that came with each disk/main folder.

Could we perhaps use those ".bin" folders to find out if we are missing R3D files from the folder structure?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 15, 2011 at 3:30:17 pm

You don't need the camera.

Download RedCineX (free from red) to have a look at the footage. Throw it all in to a bin, and sort by tc.

Do you remember if you shot rec or free run tc?

If you shot record run, then all tc should be rather continuous. If you spot any holes, you're missing footage.

Return to posts index

Alex Antoine
on Dec 15, 2011 at 5:00:55 pm

I did that. Thanks.

There are no breaks in the TC. But that's not enough to tell us if shots that came after the last TC entry are missing, no? In other words, there are no TC breaks between shot A, shot B, and shot C. But it still could mean that a shot D and E are missing, if those were ever recorded.

Would there be a way to know what was recorded on the disk/card from which the footage came, independently of whatever footage we managed to transfer from the disk/card to our archive?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 15, 2011 at 5:37:38 pm

I see, what you are saying. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

[Alex Antoine] "There are no breaks in the TC. But that's not enough to tell us if shots that came after the last TC entry are missing, no? In other words, there are no TC breaks between shot A, shot B, and shot C. But it still could mean that a shot D and E are missing, if those were ever recorded."

True, but at some point, whoever looked through the camera will tell you if shot C is in fact the last shot, no?

If all you have is the footage, there's no way to tell if you are missing shots form the transferred footage without looking at the original cards.

Someone has to verify that the last shot was the last shot by eye.

If you forgot to transfer a card, there's nothing that the current footage will tell you about it.

Did the DIT use any transfer software? Are there any MD5 or other transfer logs with footage?

Return to posts index

Alex Antoine
on Dec 16, 2011 at 11:26:02 am

The DIT didn't use any transfer software, unfortunately.
So it looks like it's a lost cause, which was my initial impression.
Live and learn.

It's not too dramatic though, as the show's edited. But I wanted to pin point what we did wrong so as to avoid that sort of issue in the future.

Thanks very much for your insights and suggestions Jeremy.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 16, 2011 at 3:19:00 pm

[Alex Antoine] "It's not too dramatic though, as the show's edited. But I wanted to pin point what we did wrong so as to avoid that sort of issue in the future."

Using transfer software can help as it verifies that what's on the ssd is on the hard drives that you take with you.

And, don't forget to transfer the last card. ;)

AC/DIT should be all over that.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Curt Pair
on Jan 30, 2012 at 6:09:05 pm

Jeremy,

What sort of transfer programs are you talking about? Shot Put Pro, for example?

Thanks.

Curt Pair
Picture This Productions
Sony ICE Team
F800/F350/PDWF3/F900/PDW700/EX1/EX3/D790/D600
Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 HD/Matrox Axio
DSCLabs|Nexto NVS 2500|Convergent-Design nanoFlash|GoPro|Westcott
Phoenix, AZ

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 30, 2012 at 6:26:12 pm

I use Shotput Pro, yes, as it handles almost everything. I even use it to copy an entire data set to another drive/system for archiving. It doesn't have to be just camera files, and the latest version includes MD5 verification.

There's a Red specific offloader called R3D Data Manger as well.

Digital Rebellion makes one that's part of Pro Media Tools and it's called Auto Transfer.

Hope that helps.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Curt Pair
on Jan 30, 2012 at 7:21:50 pm

Jeremy,

Thanks! I downloaded the trial of the R3D copy program... I didn't even know about that one! I appreciate the tip!

Curt Pair
Picture This Productions
Sony ICE Team
F800/F350/PDWF3/F900/PDW700/EX1/EX3/D790/D600
Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 HD/Matrox Axio
DSCLabs|Nexto NVS 2500|Convergent-Design nanoFlash|GoPro|Westcott
Phoenix, AZ

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]