FORUMS: list search recent posts

RED Workflow- onlining proxies/ playback in log and transfer method

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
tom bailey
RED Workflow- onlining proxies/ playback in log and transfer method
on Nov 14, 2011 at 10:57:49 pm

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out my workflow to get RED footage, shot 4K into Final Cut Pro (6.0.6).
I have tried to work with the proxies and the log and transfer method, if possible I'm keen to avoid buying more software.
Here are my issue's with each method I have tried:

1. PROXIES
I brought the smallest quicktime proxy into FCP and it had full frame rate playback (horray!), but I'm not sure how to online this and bring it back to 4K full resolution for finishing (as the names differ). This process only seems to be spoken about in forums in terms of using Colour, but what would I have to do the re conform to those bigger files in FCP?

If I were to use this method, can I rename the clip descriptions without messing up the reconforming process?

Although this worked well now, I have read that it can be more processor intensive to use proxies and I am working on an iMac (Core 2 Duo, OS X 10.4).

2. LOG AND TRANSFER
Following the RED FCS Whitepaper.pdf that came with the RED codec download, I have got the files in but they don't playback at full frame rate.
I have set the 'sequence presets' to Apple ProRes 422 and changed the frame size to 2048 x 1024 (as instructed in the whitepaper).
And I set the playback to Unlimited RT, full frame rate, low quality.

Still it doesn't play properly. My suspicions are:
- Log and Transfer is converting the 4K files, though I don't know if this makes any difference as the proxies are only 'virtual proxies' anyway.
- its the frame size, which seems quite big to me, but I didn't want to go against the manual!

I'm only a sometimes editor so this is all a bit of a mine field to me so apologise if I have overlooked something.

Thanks in advance!
Bailey.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]