FORUMS: list search recent posts

Rebuilding RED file structure

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Arbel Vaknin
Rebuilding RED file structure
on Oct 27, 2011 at 10:55:53 am

Hi guys,

After a few days of shooting in RED camera, one of our backup drives crashed.
After recovering the data from the hard drive, we found a problem with the material from the 8th day.
they recovered all R3D files from that day, it can even be viewed by REDCINE-X, but all the rest of the files (the reference files) are missing, I can't import it to final cut.

I downloaded clipfinder that gave me this message:

Error getting clip '/Volumes/yonatanB/RED yonatan/day8 i/Yonatan Bar Ilan RED UNDEAD':
The specified file fork does not exist.
If you have recently moved this file it may help to rebuild the reference (proxy) files by pressing CMD-A, then ALT-CMD-A

Pressing CMD-A (select all) CMD-ALT-A (unselect all) WTF?!

I want to rebuild the file structure for this files, can anyone guide me for doing so?
Please, explain it like I'm 6 Years old.

Thanx so much.

Return to posts index

Nelson Goforth
Re: Rebuilding RED file structure
on Oct 27, 2011 at 7:17:52 pm

If you happen to have an old copy of RedAlert (and maybe RedCine - pre-X) there was a method there for creating proxy files. RedAlert is no longer useful for rendering (doesn't use the Color Science in full) but may work for this purpose.

Nelson Goforth

Red Camera Rental & Indy Features, Denver Colorado.
rockymountain4k.com * 303.506.2456

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Oct 27, 2011 at 8:36:26 pm

Download the latest RCX from RED.com

Open the files in RCX
choose the export preset GENERATE QT WRAPPERS
select all the clips in the bin or timeline or where ever you have them.
EXPORT using that preset.
The QT wrappers will be generated in the R3D folder.

David

Return to posts index

Arbel Vaknin
on Oct 28, 2011 at 10:32:45 am

Hi David,

1. By RCX can I assume you mean REDCine-X?
2. If so, in my addition of REDCine-X under File - Export all I have are 2 options:
EDL (CMX 3600) & FCP XML
I haven't found anywhere "GENERATE QT WRAPPERS" not even in HELP.

Please, explain it like I'm 6 years old
no, seriously. Its my first time with RED.

Return to posts index

Nelson Goforth
on Oct 28, 2011 at 3:49:28 pm

The "Export" he means is different.

As you see, RedCineX (RCX) has a lot of windows, and they get confusing because of the black-on-black color scheme (praying for 'skins'). Some of them have a unique show/hide function on the left-hand edge. Turn off (either by clicking the close box, or up in the menus) Timeline, Histogram, Clip Settings, Detail if they are in your way. Leave open Browser, Bin, and Export, plus the viewer (some are not closeable). Toggle Browser, Bin and Export so that they are expanded.

The Export in question is this Export panel.

You can create a number of export presets. Create a new one now (the + button). Name it ('make proxies'), File Format = Quicktime Wrappers. For setup it doesn't seem to matter what you select there. When I tried it RCX just generated all four proxies, which is what I wanted. I suggest not checking any boxes and try it for one or two clips. This may not matter, but choose "output with clip name to clip folder'. Click "Ok".

In the browser find the reel/mag or RDM folders you're after. When you click on a folder you will see all of the R3Ds in the folder. Select all the ones you need to generate proxies for and drag them into the bin. Since this is a test, just try two or three to start.

In the Export window, select the "Create Proxies" preset, and "All Clips in Bin". Hit "Export". See if it worked.

I turned off Rocket support, just to see how long this would take - it goes very quickly. It's not like rendering.

You should have the RCX manual in your RCX download, but Red's documentation is notoriously bad (I have offered a few times to come write for them), and you may get some answers there.

Red Camera Rental & Indy Features, Denver Colorado.
rockymountain4k.com * 303.506.2456

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]