FORUMS: list search recent posts

Red workflow in FCP

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Prerna Saigal
Red workflow in FCP
on Oct 17, 2011 at 3:32:04 pm

Hi

We are shooting on Red MX for theater release 24fps but when we see our footage on Redcine X pro the meta data shows 24fps but bottom left in the viewer shows 23.98 fps.How does this effect our workflow as we want our final film at 24fps.

Is it a BIG PROBLEM !

We would finally be editing on FCP.

Regards

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: Red workflow in FCP
on Oct 17, 2011 at 3:58:56 pm

[Prerna Saigal] "Is it a BIG PROBLEM !"

No its not.

for NTSC compatibility in North America we shoot 23.98 (23.976) so that it can be played back on a standard Televison. 24.0 Fps will not playback on most NTSC sets.

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

Gaz Evans
Re: Red workflow in FCP
on Oct 27, 2011 at 12:57:21 pm

It shouldn't be a problem until you get to the DCP stage (I assume the theatre release will be a DCP). Most DCPs have to be created at 24fps although the project can play them back at different speeds if needed.

I was recently working on a project that was shot, edited, graded and sound mixed at 23.98fps. The only additional step that was required to make the DCP was that I had to throw the audio stems from the mix back through Pro Tools and alter the speed so that the audio was the length that the DCP creator would be expecting (basically speeding up the audio to play at just over 100.1% speed).

It worked like charm and in total added just under 3 hours to the post production process for a 2hr film.

once you have your 24fps DCP the cinema projector should be able to play it back at almost any frame rate you suggest but if it is played back at 24fps there will be no noticeable pitch shift or effects apart from the running about 7 seconds shorter than expected.

Gaz Evans

Workflow Technician
The diROOM
http://www.diROOM.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]