FORUMS: list search recent posts

Red Vs Sony F65

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Garcia
Red Vs Sony F65
on Oct 14, 2011 at 4:21:49 pm

just wondering what some opinions are...

First off before the sony f65 all sony had was HD cinealtas and I never thought that shooting a movie in HD for theater quality was good enough. Now red has always had higher resolution, etc. but now sony f65 has better specs than red does with an 8K sensor and true 4K ability. So which is better still red or the yet to be released sony f65?

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: Red Vs Sony F65
on Oct 17, 2011 at 4:01:28 pm

[Mike Garcia] "So which is better still red or the yet to be released sony f65?"

Well since the f65 has not been allowed out for this level of testing outside of Sony- you will have to wait a couple of months to see.

My guess is that the f65, like Alexa and Epic, will truly be another camera for the highest levels of cinema style acquisiton.

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

Graeme Nattress
on Oct 24, 2011 at 1:40:18 pm

Resolution is a measured parameter. For instance, in the original RED One, the 4k image was made up from 9437184 pixels on the sensor. The measured resolution was around 3.2k. The F35 makes it's image from 12441600 on the sensor, that's 1.3 times as many, but the measured resolution was less than 1.9k which is 1.6 times less resolution. That's an example of more pixels actually equalling lower resolution, not more!

The F65, no matter what Sony tells you, does not have an 8k sensor. It's 20mp which, as you can see from the above numbers (9.4 and 12.4) no where near enough to produce an 8k sensor which would need about 38mp at the very least.

So until you can sit down and measure the F65, I understand that talking about specs is all that you can do, but you're much better going with real-world measurements of an actual working product.

As for visual opinions - I saw the NAB demo of the F65 and their footage looked very much like RED One demo footage - high resolution and clean. It certainly justified the use of the 4k projector, as does RED's footage, especially the Epic. Sony are actively demonstrating that 1080p was never enough, and that is good. As for how they're doing it, they have their methods and workflows and equipment and it's a very different philosophy and price.

Best advice is to go out and shoot both and see how you get on.

- http://www.nattress.com - Film Effects and Standards Conversion for FCP

Return to posts index

Ladvin Stricko
on May 10, 2012 at 8:41:39 am

If you see the behind the scenes videos of eldorado on sony.com
theres a few shots of them driving in the desert where the sun rises and the desert in the distance is super rich nice beautiful saturated colors.

To me the colors in the face shots are much more rich and natural compared to the epic (we have 2)

Find me a movie shot on red (even hobbit trailer) where the faces are nice and rich like the Spielberg Warhorse movie,

They always de saturate films shot with Red cameras, another example is the social network, though it worked quite well,

I just haven't seen a film where the lanscapes are rich and beauitufl like film....

This F65 to my eyes has it... can't wait to test, in the preliminary desert tests and face tests that sony ran... I haven't seen Red footage that has that natural rich vibe.

Am I missing movies / doco's that look rich and vibrant shot on red?, I'm almost certain we'll be switching after we receive the test unit.

Return to posts index

Graeme Nattress
on May 10, 2012 at 11:04:34 am

It's down to two factors - grading choice, and fashion.

Graeme

- http://www.nattress.com - Film Effects and Standards Conversion for FCP

Return to posts index

Dimitrios Papagiannis
on Jun 5, 2012 at 2:55:03 am

Having shot and graded footage from this camera, I can say it was the most satisfying experience with any digital acquisition camera I have seen to date. The first time I would say that we have a film replacement contender that might even satisfy the purists.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]