FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is there "sound" yet ? Waiting on sound?

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Shepherd
Is there "sound" yet ? Waiting on sound?
on Jan 10, 2008 at 5:16:35 pm

I am curious if the Red Camera is now being shipped with the lack of sound capability now being enabled, fixed or offered as a feature.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: Is there "sound" yet ? Waiting on sound?
on Jan 10, 2008 at 6:05:40 pm

[Mark Shepherd] "I am curious if the Red Camera is now being shipped with the lack of sound capability now being enabled, fixed or offered as a feature. "

Still no sound on camera, but then most systems at this level use dual system sound anyway.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Guy
by
on Jan 10, 2008 at 11:38:53 pm

Audio is in the latest build (12)

http://www.red.com/support/release_history/4

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Feb 17, 2008 at 9:07:06 pm

[gary adcock] "Still no sound on camera, but then most systems at this level use dual system sound anyway. "

Can you please clarify the "Dual" part of your statement?

thank you

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Feb 17, 2008 at 9:44:13 pm

Camera recording the picture, sound recorded to a separate device. DAT was the recording tool of choice just a few years ago, now you can record Broadcast WAV direct to drive, complete with timecode and metadata.

The irony for both Avid and FCP is that your audio and video are LESS likely to lose touch of each other when working with files captured separately, because the information linking the two together lives independently from either.

Also ironic: this is obviously the way that sound has been recorded for film since...since there was sound for film. Its resurgence as a video workflow was driven by the DVX-100a...because of how well the images worked with film.

Media Composer was developed for film, so sound and picture tracked separately was the only way to fly. This is what its media management was built on. And of course FCP does everything it can to copy Media Composer, right? Especially media management. :-) (Seriously, kidding. Mostly.)

The more things change...the more they change.

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
on Feb 17, 2008 at 9:51:14 pm

[Tim Wilson] "The irony for both Avid and FCP is that your audio and video are LESS likely to lose touch of each other when working with files captured separately, because the information linking the two together lives independently from either."

I can tell you that on Perestroika, we shot something like 27 hours of footage with picture shot on an HVX 200 and sound recorded on an 8 track Deva recorder. We had exactly 1 shot that didn't synch properly.

On that shot, synch drifted out for some strange reason. I never bothered to try to figure it out, I just slipped the back end of the audio till it looked like it was in synch.

Arnie

Now in post: Peristroika, a film by Slava Tsukerman

http://www.arniepix.com/blog

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
Missed my question
on Feb 24, 2008 at 5:19:40 am

I had asked about the word "Dual" as in two places. One would assume that "Dual" means in the camera AND on another device.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1.

Return to posts index

Todd at Fantastic Plastic
Re: Missed my question
on Feb 25, 2008 at 2:48:44 pm

I had never thought about that, Steve, but although the term "dual system" sound has been around for forever, I guess it is a bit of a misnomer.

Dual system of course in years past always simply meant recording audio not at all in-camera but to a separate device (Nagra, DAT, whatever). However I know in a fair bit of HD production since the cameras can record audio, even though the "real" audio is recorded to a separate device often a "loop through" audio track is passed back to the camera more-or-less as a reference track, just in case there was a problem with slating or time-code jamming, etc. I guess in those cases the word "dual" would indeed be accurate, since the audio is recorded in two places.

Sadly, though, not in the first REDs.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
Re: Missed my question
on Feb 27, 2008 at 4:45:57 am

Thanks Todd. I know that we've used "second sound" which meant a second device but I just wanted to clarify in case I was missing something. I have been hard on the Red group and I want to make sure that I don't misunderstand or possible misstate something.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1.

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
on Jan 10, 2008 at 11:37:58 pm

If you're waiting on sound, I have to wonder if this is the right camera for you. Particularly since there are so many other options for off camera sound.

Arnie

Now in post: Peristroika, a film by Slava Tsukerman

http://www.arniepix.com/blog

Return to posts index

Mark Shepherd
on Jan 12, 2008 at 1:10:38 am

The Red Community is cult like and is highly sensitive to ANY questions. Lighten up.

Return to posts index

Sean Davison
on Jan 15, 2008 at 4:38:47 pm

There are a great many people out there who are attracted to Red because of its price and because of the variety of lenses it will work with. The 4k side of it less so as the final output of their films will be to 1080/720 HD. For them sound is important. These cameras seem to offer far more than the bog standard Sony HDCams that are used in the majority of films that my company works on (we're talking High end Discovery / Nat Geo here) That is probably why RED are including a sound option - post syncing rushes is not an option in these workflows.

I look forward to my first Red job!!!!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]