FORUMS: list search recent posts

Red Epic in 2k mode

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charles Binn
Red Epic in 2k mode
on Aug 31, 2011 at 5:06:08 am

I want to use 2/3 HD lenses with the Red Epic. Now I found in the web that Red Epic does not work well in 2K mode. What does this mean? Is the picture worse than a picture from a 20thousand USD 2/3 inch camera?

Charles

Return to posts index

David Battistella
Re: Red Epic in 2k mode
on Aug 31, 2011 at 8:05:32 am

When in 2K mode the RED Camera and EPIC camera's DO NOT use the full sensor. The camera uses a "windowed mode" which uses a smaller area of the chip to capture the images.

Generally, for the best image quality you need to shoot in 4K or 5K. The B4 adapter, 2/3 inch glass and 2K is something many people thought might be a good alternative but the picture quality is not as good as the 5K or 4K modes.

It's best to use glass that was designed for the whole sensor and that is 35mm still or PL mount cinema glass.

David

Return to posts index

Charles Binn
on Sep 1, 2011 at 5:15:06 am

David,

thanks for answering such fast.
No doubt a picture down converted from 4 or 5 K to 2K will look much better. But the windowed mode is what I need cause I need very high focal length lenses. And this I cannot get if I will use the full sensor. And second I need high speed. And the Red Epic delivers up to 300 frames in 2K crop mode.
What I am interested in is the picture quality of a 2K movie in crop mode. Is it comparable to a professional medium prized 2/3 inch camera?

Thanks a lot
Charles

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Sep 1, 2011 at 10:39:32 am

[Charles Binn] "What I am interested in is the picture quality of a 2K movie in crop mode. Is it comparable to a professional medium prized 2/3 inch camera? "

These are tests you would have to do on your own with specific cameras. There are a few things to consider.

RED does not do any sharpening "in camera" as other camera's do.
RED needs to be exposed and lit correctly for best results (especially at high speed, lower resolution modes)

RED does MANY things very well, you need to find the exposure/post combo that works best for you.

FYI: There are many zooms available for RED camera's with lightweight still glass and you can shoot up to 120fps in 5K. for many people that is plenty.

David

Return to posts index

Nelson Goforth
on Sep 6, 2011 at 7:27:51 am

Reds (Epic or Red One) in 2K mode will provide a superior image compared to an HD camera. The resolution is higher and the raw image provides a far greater color space - allowing lots of 'running and jumping' room in post.

If you've got a lot of 2/3" lenses, then you're set, if all you want to do is cover a small part of the sensor. Owners of 16mm PL lenses are using some of that great glass to good effect. But in terms of the image delivered a 100mm lens is a 100mm lens. Using a Red at 2K a 100mm Master Prime is going to have generally the same appearance as a 100mm Nikon-knockoff still lens or your 100mm lens for a 2/3" sensor - same field-of-view, same depth-of-field. Just make sure your lens will, in fact, cover the 2K portion of the sensor.

I just worked a 300fps shoot with the Epic. It performed well and looked great. The Epic is still a work-in-progress - stuff is changing all the time. I, too, had heard that the highest frame rates were causing problems, so checked it out before the shoot. That's old news. The camera worked perfectly. There are still bits in the works (monitoring, etc) but that's all changing on a daily basis. We are really excited to be getting our own shortly.

Nelson Goforth

Red Camera & Production Services, Denver Colorado.
http://www.rockymountain4k.com * 303.506.2456

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Sep 6, 2011 at 7:33:55 am

[Nelson Goforth] "But in terms of the image delivered a 100mm lens is a 100mm lens. Using a Red at 2K a 100mm Master Prime is going to have generally the same appearance as a 100mm Nikon-knockoff still lens or your 100mm lens for a 2/3" sensor - same field-of-view, same depth-of-field. "

Um.

Maybe I am reading this wrong but in SUPER 35mm RED ONE or EPIC sensor the field of VIEW does change when the Camera is in windowed mode.

a 100mm masterprime at 4K is the same as 35mm film, switch the camera to 2K and that effectively becomes a 200mm lens.

If you use super 16 PL glass or a B4 adapter with an ENG lens that covers 2/3 inch sensors, while the camera is in 2K then you 28mm is 28mm, etc. But if you use nikon glass that covers the 35mm sensor (NOT DX GLASS) then 100mm Nikon is the same as a 100mm master prime in terms of coverage.

David

Return to posts index

Nelson Goforth
on Sep 6, 2011 at 2:39:44 pm

The answer was given for a particular sensor size (windowed 2K). Yes, field-of-view changes if you change sensor size. The initial poster was concerned about his 2/3" lenses, so that's what I'm addressing.

A 100mm lens has the same DOF characteristics no matter what camera it's put on; the field of view changes depending on the sensor size. On my old Graphlex 4x5 it's a wide-angle lens, on a Red it's a pretty long lens, and on an HVX-200 it's extremely long.

I know what is meant by "a 100mm lens becomes a 200mm lens" but I'm concerned that it gives the wrong information re DOF and keeps photographers from understanding how lenses work. I didn't get the picture until I started learning 4x5.

Nelson Goforth

Red Camera & Production Services, Denver Colorado.
http://www.rockymountain4k.com * 303.506.2456

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]