FORUMS: list search recent posts

Basic questions about FCP, RED, and Cinema Tools

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kathryn Cates
Basic questions about FCP, RED, and Cinema Tools
on Aug 17, 2011 at 3:26:40 am

Hello all,

I'm assisting on a RED-based feature for which no Cinema Tools database was made initially. Now we're locking picture, and I need to create a database from which I can eventually create change lists for my audio and color houses.

Question is: how do I create a database at this stage of the edit, and how can I ensure everything links up properly once I do? I have read the whitepaper, looked at the Kadner book, etc., and I literally cannot find an answer to some basic questions, like:

-these files I'm told to 'drag into the database' - um, just to confirm, these are the original RED files, right? Not the ProRes files we've actually been editing with?
-is it just one database for the whole project, regardless of which reel I'm making change lists for? Or a database per reel?
-there will certainly be changes to all these reels after turnover, and reel names will be changed as a result. Everything I read says not to do that. For real? What's the alternative?

All the footage was initially transcoded to ProRes422, and I believe it was all done using RedCineX.

I know that's a lot. I'm quite new to this, and I appreciate any advice you can throw my way! (Mind you, I'm extremely new to Cinema Tools generally - so no answer is too basic!)

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Basic questions about FCP, RED, and Cinema Tools
on Aug 17, 2011 at 5:47:25 am

Why would CinemaTools come into the mix? You should be onlining from the original media- no?

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and GoPro HD Hero.

Return to posts index

Kathryn Cates
Re: Basic questions about FCP, RED, and Cinema Tools
on Aug 17, 2011 at 12:01:05 pm

Hi Noah,

Onlining from the original media, yes. My goal here is to create a database so I can output change lists for my online guys, as they will be working while we are continuing to edit.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]