FORUMS: list search recent posts

First Epic job - lots of footage to grade in a week!

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
andrew smith
First Epic job - lots of footage to grade in a week!
on Aug 12, 2011 at 2:09:19 pm

I have my very first Red Epic job with a whole bunch of footage expected...obviously Color will not work for this job because some of the footage will be shot 5K and they might want to go back to the r3d's for grading...ultimately its time to move on from Color for us anyways. I would like to still be able to use Color for other work, but I need to get a fast system up and running immediately to handle this job right now. I am getting a final total still on the footage but I believe it will be at most roughly 130 hours to grade in a 7-10 day period of time. Its going to be general location settings with different subjects so it will indeed be a lot of setting all one location with a look created and adjusting only slightly as needed with the new subject in the frame. again not many nodes should be required as more of a general grade is needed.

Here is the equipment I currently have:

MacPro 4,1 OSX 10.6.8 / FCS3 / CS5
2.26 ghz 8-core / 24GB RAM
Nvidia GT 120/285 combo
Fibre card to fast storage network
AVID MC Color control surface
Panasonic calibrated monitor

Also if they don't decide its necessary to go back to the the r3d's but instead use prores4444 1080 files transcoded by an on set DIT with a Rocket card how best would I configure my system to handle that if need be. Could Color even do the job in time or would it go much faster with Resolve still?

Would RedRocket card rental be needed considering the amount of footage and time frame for rendering r3d? Please advise me otherwise if you think Cubix and all that extra $ is not necessary. How about if I get the Cubix desktop expander 2 that allows for 2 more cards i believe (maybe one 285 & a Redrocket rental for this job and then after just a 2nd additional 285 totaling x3)?

What I think I will need after reading the config guide and this forum:
Resolve 8 software obviously
BMD3D+ Extreme card

questions still remaining:
1) Should I add a Cubix expander and if so which Cubix model - desktop 2?
2) What graphics cards would I need to add in addition to the 120/GTX285. I was looking at x2 285's or 470 cards from ebay?
3) Is RedRocket overkill in that I dont know how much it will be needed after this big job - maybe i could just rent one for this?
4) How much am I looking to spend if I expand and how best to purchase all of this quick fast (straight from cubix, cards from ebay, etc?

Anything else I am missing?

Thank you

Andrew

Nvidia GT 120/285 combo

Return to posts index

andrew smith
Re: First Epic job - lots of footage to grade in a week!
on Aug 12, 2011 at 2:49:12 pm

Also can someone explain the different debayer settings in Resolve for outputting 1080 quicktimes? I believe I will need to deliver proRes4444 1080 23.98 quicktimes for broadcast use but I am not sure what will make the most sense for render settings in Resolve.
Thank you
Andrew

Nvidia GT 120/285 combo

Return to posts index

Kris Anderson
on Aug 14, 2011 at 8:36:19 am

If you try and do this without a Red Rocket card you're going to be sitting there for weeks.

It's an absolute must. In which case it will lead you to a need for a Cubix expander and at least one (better to have two) Quadro 4000 cards along with your BMD video card. That's how I run my Resolve/Epic combination.

But at the very, very least you're going to need a Rocket.

Return to posts index

andrew smith
on Aug 14, 2011 at 2:24:15 pm

Hey Kris thank you for the reply

Just to clarify based on what i already have you are suggestion to get the desktop2 cubix expander and put a rocket card and quadro 4000? My MacPro right now looks like this:

Fibre card
Gt120/285
BMD Extreme3+

I was under the impression that for specific reason the 2nd or 3rd GPU's have to match the one I already have (285) and that that card is in fact faster and cheaper :) than the 4000?

thanks
a

Nvidia GT 120/285 combo

Return to posts index

Kris Anderson
on Aug 14, 2011 at 10:00:39 pm

Apologies, I missed that you already had a GPU card. I don't know if they need to match. I just use the Quadro's. But if you're going to be using RED footage, at all, you're going to need the Rocket or it's going to be slow going. In which case, you'll need the expander (I have the 4 slot expander, it wasn't much more $$$ in the longer term).

Return to posts index

andrew smith
on Aug 15, 2011 at 4:22:16 pm

ok so if i get the desktop2 expander is it ok just to get one more 285 & a Rocket card and put them both in that cubix? i believe that model can handle that no? or should i get the bigger expander for expansion to more gpu's if need be?

Nvidia GT 120/285 combo

Return to posts index

Kris Anderson
on Aug 16, 2011 at 1:23:21 am

Depends on how much you want to future proof your set up. I would (and did) personally go with the 4 way expander because I use my machine in Avid setup as well as DaVinci as well as RED processing. You're not spending that much extra $$$ up front and it's worth it for the extra flexibility should you need to expand. A 2nd GPU is definitely going to make things smoother long term when you're grading.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]