FORUMS: list search recent posts

Scarlet F lens functionality

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Cunningham
Scarlet F lens functionality
on Aug 3, 2011 at 1:29:49 pm

I’m looking for a little clarification regarding lens functionality of the Scarlet F. Is the zoom a powered zoom or is it only manual? In one of the Ted interviews I believe they talked about setting the hand grip for zoom and being able to then manually focus?

I do a lot of ENG type shooting where zooming in, racking focus and re-framing is constantly happening. Is this possible without having to hit buttons to switch between focus and zoom? Also, one of the blogs talked about some kind of “Steady Shot” built into the camera, but there was never any confirmation whether or not this function exists; does it?

The camera seems to come w/ 1/8” phono plugs for audio, w/ a module available for XLR audio; do we know if the module is part of the package or an accessory?

Thanks,

Return to posts index

stu aull
Re: Scarlet F lens functionality
on Aug 28, 2011 at 9:14:28 pm

Jim-
first, ANY updates or spec discussion of SCARLET is best sourced thru RedUser.net forum site.
As to your Qs, here is what I understand SCARLET features will be-
-zoom OR focus CAN be controlled with the (optional?? who knows!) side handle rocker switch.
I understand that which ever feature you do NOT control with the rocker switch, would default to manual control on the lens barrel. ie the rotary grip (that all lenses have) can be set to control either ZOOM, IRIS or FOCUS. But only one at a time. I suspect this feature will be MUCH more elegant than I am making it sound as RED is pretty savvy about operator-controls.
- no stability feature has ever been mentioned for the FIXED lense SCARLET. If this is a desired feature (to me!) you will need to hold out for the CINEMA SCARLET aka SCARLET INTERCHANGEABLE and buy IS lenses (Canon, etc) for it)

-all REDS have the mini-jack audio OUT. RED will have a "Pro-Module" accessory with XLR+ capability but there are several aftermarket pieces that appear to be excellent quality that permit a nice clean adaption starting at $200.

Stu Aull
Alaska

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]