FORUMS: list search recent posts

Feature Film FCP Workflow

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sofi Marshall
Feature Film FCP Workflow
on Aug 1, 2011 at 1:42:04 pm

Hi all,

I'm about to get started editing a feature shot on the RED. There's about 1TB of footage that needs to be transcoded. We're editing in FCP and want to eventually link back to the native R3Ds. I want to get some opinions on the fastest way to get the footage transcoded to ProRes (can be as low as Proxy quality) without making the link back to the native files difficult. My thought is to use Log and Transfer to transcode to ProRes Proxy, but does going to such a low-quality file actually increase the transcoding time? Since we will be linking back to the native files, my biggest concern is getting the footage into FCP as quickly as possible.

Would it be faster to transcode the Full quality QT Proxies through Compressor to be able to distribute the processing? Would going that way make it any more difficult to link back to native files?

I'm working off a 2.3GHz Core i7 Macbook Pro with 4GB of RAM.

Thanks for any advice!

Return to posts index

David Battistella
Re: Feature Film FCP Workflow
on Aug 1, 2011 at 2:35:15 pm

GET A RED ROCKET CARD and USE REDCINE X.

If you can't afford one, get the production to buy one. If you can't BUY ONE, FIND ONE and BEG them to do the transcode for you. It will save you time and headaches.

If you are doing strictly offline.

1/8th res Prores LT 720P media is perfect. It's lightweight, the image quality is good and you can edit from USB drives if you have to.

reconforming is a snap with the clipfinder workflow, but it depends on how you want to grade and finish.

Any more than this and I'd ahve to charge a consulting fee.

David

Return to posts index

Sofi Marshall
on Aug 1, 2011 at 3:26:09 pm

Thanks for the reply David. You're definitely right about the Red Rocket... I'm doing all I can to find one since it's not possible to get my own. I'm hoping that will work out, but I want to be prepared for the worst case scenario of having to pull this off on my Macbook Pro.

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Aug 1, 2011 at 4:11:47 pm

Totally doable

Even at 4K

GET RCX
GET NEW RED QT PLUGINS
SET UP AN OUTPUT PRESET in RCX and set that baby to render for three days.

Use the settings in the above post.

David

Return to posts index

Sofi Marshall
on Aug 1, 2011 at 4:24:14 pm

Thanks David, I forgot about RCX. That sounds like a good option!

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Aug 2, 2011 at 7:04:10 am

Do it.

It's becoming a very mature and stable application and it is the best way to deal with R3D media, very flexible.

Run a short test first. checking the renders before you do the whole batch.

David

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Aug 3, 2011 at 6:48:27 pm

Ive done quite a few but going to DNxHD.
Im not sure which is faster, FCP Log and Transfer or RCX?
Ive done the Log and Transfer route and seems to be fine.

Return to posts index

Sofi Marshall
on Aug 3, 2011 at 6:59:26 pm

Hey all,

I just finished up some tests and wanted to post my results to help anyone else out. I took David's advice and ran 100GB of 4K raw RED footage through RedcineX with the following export settings:

Apple ProRes (LT)
720P
1/8 Debayer
No looks or adjustments to the clips

It took exactly 59 minutes to process the 100GB of footage, so it will only take about 10 hours total to run through the 1TB of footage that I have for this project.

I did this all on my laptop, which as I posted above is a 2.3GHz Core i7 Macbook Pro with 4GB of RAM.

Honestly, I was pretty shocked (and happy!) with these results. I almost always transcode to ProRes 422 (HQ), so I'm used to those extremely long render times, but since it's definite that we'll be linking back to the r3d's for this project, the ProRes LT is perfect for an offline.

Hope this information is helpful!

-Sofi

Return to posts index

Sofi Marshall
on Aug 3, 2011 at 7:10:21 pm

And to answer your question more directly, Eric, RedcineX is much faster because it is a 64 bit application, whereas FCP's Log and Transfer is still 32bit.

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Aug 22, 2011 at 8:13:17 am

Sofi,

I really like that you came back, posted your results and shared with the community. That is the exact spirit of the COW.

David

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]