FORUMS: list search recent posts

Transcoding EPIC to ProRes 422HQ ... how long should this take?

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Kmiec
Transcoding EPIC to ProRes 422HQ ... how long should this take?
on Jul 28, 2011 at 4:08:22 pm

I'm working on a 2x2.8 quad-core xeon macpro with 6gb ram running OSX 10.6.7...

Transcoding EPIC R3D files to ProRes 422HQ (1080 23.98). There's 485GB worth of R3D files. On average, it's taking about 30-60min per clip to run them out of REDCINE-X.

Seems like the plugins for RED injest in FCP and Premiere only work with REDONE through builds 30 and do not support EPIC... according to the RED website, REDCINE-X is really the only option at this point for transcoding EPIC footage.

Am I missing anything important? Is there some secret magic trick I'm missing with working with EPIC?

Any advice or ideas will help. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Nelson Goforth
Re: Transcoding EPIC to ProRes 422HQ ... how long should this take?
on Sep 6, 2011 at 7:49:42 am

You need, desperately, a Red Rocket card.

Red files, particularly with the Epic, are huge and take a great deal of processing power. The Rocket is made specifically to deal with R3D files, and nothing else (that I know of).

With a Red Rocket card a 10-minute clip will take 10 minutes to render. Without it the clip will take all night. I know, I've tried it. Without the Rocket (and with 500GB of footage) you will still be rendering a week from now.

If you don't want to spring $5000 right now (and I can understand that) then see if you can find someone locally has a MacPro/Red Rocket setup that you could hire by the day/hour. I've taken my rendering rig on-set, rendered footage in my own office (Denver, CO), and also rented it to local post houses for use in their own shops.

Nelson Goforth

Red Camera & Production Services, Denver Colorado.
http://www.rockymountain4k.com * 303.506.2456

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]