FORUMS: list search recent posts

Upgrading FCP suit for RED with Red Rocket card

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nicholas Rubin
Upgrading FCP suit for RED with Red Rocket card
on May 31, 2011 at 8:18:47 pm

Hello there

We have an FCP suite setup for all things Fina Cut.

We have an 8 core mac pro with a Blackmagic HD extreme with output via HDMI to an 11 series Panasonic monitor. All storage comes off of a 12 TB raid through an SAS PCI card.

We do all sorts of things with the setup. We've edited features from RED cameras, 5D's etc. More and more we are getting RED based workflows and have had to transcode off site or sit for days while everything transcodes locally to ProRes 444 on our office machines. We would like to make the setup more RED friendly and are considering purchasing a RED Rocket card. As space inside the machine is already tight with our RAID card, graphics card Blackmagic I'm trying to figure out if I can lose the Blackmagic, replace it with the Red Rocket and still output to our monitor and work realtime in ProRes. Additionally I'm considering buying either a single or dual link dvi board for the monitor.

My question is as follows:

Will we still be totally capable of working in ProRes with the RED rocket card as far as output monitoring?

Will I lose any capabilities without the Blackmagic?

If I output via DVI to the monitor with the RedRocket will my color space need to be recalibrated on the monitor?

Will Dual-Link DVI actually add that much to our post-production abilities as far as Color-Grading and output?

Thanks for your time

Nicholas

Dirt Empire
http://dirtempire.tv
Animation and Post-Production
Williamsburg, Brooklyn

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Upgrading FCP suit for RED with Red Rocket card
on May 31, 2011 at 9:31:09 pm

I'd add another Mac Pro in addition to the RED Rocket card. That way you can maximize your RED workflow without boning yourself for other formats by losing the AJA card.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

Nicholas Rubin
on Jun 1, 2011 at 6:43:15 am

Our other option is to just install the RED Rocket on an external machine purely for transcodes. I'm just trying to figure out how to integrate the machine into the existing setup. If we wanted to build an entire suite in addition to what we have I suppose we could given a certain amount of money. Given that I don't want to spend more than $5K-$8Kon new equipment (RED card and input board for Panasonic) I want to make sure I maximize what I already have. I really doubt that many people will actually want to work in .R3D so I suppose I could just put the card somewhere else. Still, I would like better idea of what my options are.

Thanks

N

Dirt Empire
Williamsburg, Brooklyn

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on Jun 1, 2011 at 7:11:10 am

Other than adding an expansion box (which is expensive too) I don't see a better option than Noah's suggestion. The Red Rocket will only deliver SDI output with programs for Red footage.

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

Jason Myres
on Jun 1, 2011 at 5:21:07 pm

Slot 4: SAS RAID Card
Slot 3: Black Magic
Slot 2: Red Rocket
Slot 1: Video Card

The slot assignments above will take care of all of your card requirements in a 2008 or later Mac Pro. The Red Rocket can be used for monitoring, but is really just for transcoding, so you'll need the Black Magic if want to monitor over SDI while editing.

JM

Return to posts index

Nicholas Rubin
on Jun 1, 2011 at 5:51:00 pm

JM

Thanks for the breakdown as far as the cards go. I guess I didn't want to admit that the only useful in te $5000 card was transcoding. As far as output is concerned I would have to monitor via sdi regardless as the hdmi cables on our particular card are connected internally, there is a bracket that attaches to one of the open slots (incredibly bad design). Do you think sdi is higher quality signal than HDMI and do you think we would get an appreciable increase in our post production capabilities with dual link into the panasonic? I'm still a bit hazy on dual link and the advantages of using it given that out monitor maxes out at a certain resolution. It is my understanding that anything above 1080p gets downscaled. Does dual link SDI offer better color grading options?

Dirt Empire
Williamsburg, Brooklyn

Return to posts index

Jason Myres
on Jun 6, 2011 at 4:31:20 am

Most of the companies that I have helped, run SDI via an AJA Kona 3 to a Panasonic Pro Plasma with the dual SDI (TY-FB11DHD) I/O board. You should be able to get similar results with your Black Magic.

As far as the RED Rocket goes, don't lament too much. It was built for one thing, and that is transcoding R3D files up to 12 times faster than a Mac Pro alone. If you are serious about the RED post work flow, that time savings is worth the price of admission by itself. While some people have used it to review raw R3D files, many never even install the SDI breakout plate.

JM

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]