FORUMS: list search recent posts

Changing the look of proxies in camera?

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rinny Wilson
Changing the look of proxies in camera?
on May 23, 2011 at 5:54:23 pm

We're used to our proxies being too dark or too bright or the wrong color. But we just did a shoot where the proxies came out very overexposed and it freaked our director out a little bit. We'd like to find a way to manage the proxies, like apply a LUT, in the camera during recording. Are there any options at all for this, or are the proxies just a wild card? Thanks!

Return to posts index

David Battistella
Re: Changing the look of proxies in camera?
on May 23, 2011 at 6:53:16 pm

It is entirely possible to create a custom look and apply that look to the proxy files while you are filming. You can even create the look in REDCINE-X and export the look to the camera via an SD card.

I have several looks loaded onto the SD and can change them as the situation dictates.

The user manual available on the RED.com site gives detailed instructions toward creating, exporting and importing custom looks for the RED ONE.

Go check it out.

My suggestion is to run some tests and to keep the looks nuetral. The RED is a RAW capture camera and it is best for a DP to check the RAW when capturing and understanding teh histogram. With a look applied one can actually think they are exposing correctly, but I would do a bit more to understand how the camera actually works than applying a look and thinking that is what you are capturing.

David

Why not do it today?

Return to posts index

Rinny Wilson
on May 23, 2011 at 7:06:42 pm

Thanks for the reply. Our director is our DP and the histogram, monitor, etc. all made the shot look correctly exposed. That's why the overexposed proxy was confusing. I tried to search in the manual for information on proxies but found very little. Does the camera refer to the looks as LUTs?

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on May 23, 2011 at 7:25:05 pm

Rinny,

I believe it is refered to as a CAMERA LOOK FILE in the RED ONE.

It's on page 124 of teh current release build operation guide.

of the user manual found here:

https://www.red.com/support/all/downloads

David

Why not do it today?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]