FORUMS: list search recent posts

Color workflow - first Epic job!

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean Kapleton
Color workflow - first Epic job!
on May 21, 2011 at 1:56:35 pm

Hello friends,

Yesterday I was contacted about a job for grading which just finished shooting with Epic 5K footage and Canon5D as well. It will be edited offline in FCP at there studios but they want to check workflow from the start with me in that I will be grading. The delivery is 1080p for broadcast and web however for the online color grading process the client will want to go back to the r3d RED material...they want to make sure of things so they asked me first.

Here is the plan please let me know if this makes sense - i have a couple questions.

Convert 5D with FCP canon plugin or RedGiant Grinder - converting to ProRes 1080p 23.98 HQ w/ timecode.

RED 5K - convert in RedCine-X to 1080p ProRes HQ for editing - never used Epic 5K material so i am concerned a bit about settings. I have downloaded the latest versions of fcp plugin and redcine-x to be able to use Epic material. The client wants to make 4444 1080 ProRes but I have suggested making it HQ to match the 5D material for editing - especially if they want to go back to the r3d in grading why even bother making 4444 versions no or can an fcp timeline have both HQ and 4444 1080 material on same timeline??

Also a couple questions:

1) If any cropping needed to happen to select a certain 1080 portion of the 5K material can this be done in RedCine or should I use something else like After Effects w/ latest red plugin to do this? My concern with this is if they insist on going back to the r3d material in grading wont I have to render out 4K versions for them to re-run through AE selecting the portion of the 5K shot they want to use for 1080?
2) If I can convince them not to go back to the r3d raw in grading can I just set RedCine-X to output full res 1080 ProResHQ or 4444 to use with Color? Looks like the client is insisting we grade the Epic stuff w/ the r3d raw but just thought to ask about this.
3) the client may be willing to rent a red rocket card for me to use on my MacPro - right now I have the GT-120 and 285 cards installed for color & davinci along with BMD extreme 3D so i assume the 285 will have to come out in order to use the rocket card w/ redcine? I plan to use Color not Davinci for this so it should not mater - any help or advice on this would be great.

Ultimately, my big question is if they edit offline with ProResHQ 1920x1080 23.98 epic & 5D material and then want to grade in color with me using the r3d for the epic material what is the easiest way to do this in that the timeline will have a mix of both material. Is it going to be possible to send this mixed format to color or will there have to be an epic r3d color project and a 5D project?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

cheers
sean

Return to posts index

Paul Provost
Re: Color workflow - first Epic job!
on May 21, 2011 at 5:31:38 pm

so they are mixing 5k and 1080? might have some matching issues.
and why are you not using davinci? latest update supports epic and 8.0 is soon to be released which will likely have hdrx support.
if you plan to go into color you will have to transcode the 5k in rcx first (also look at the new storm trial just posted).
is that your editor in the post below?
finally if you xcode r3d to prores444 those are going to be rgb files and the 5d to prores hq are going to be yuv.

http://www.postandbeam.tv
grade and finish @ post + beam

Return to posts index

Sean Kapleton
on May 21, 2011 at 5:52:36 pm

hey paul thanks for the reply.

Other posts is a different person no but anyways i am curious what you meant by 'matching issues' and how best to address this in your opinion.

I think you are right about using something besides apple color i guess i am just curious if someone could lay out both workflows in brief - color vs. something else like a resolve, baselight, etc.

I definitely will check out that latest version of Storm but i am curious to know exactly why you think it will be the better tool for this job. I will have everything transcoded to ProRes HQ instead of 4444 for the offline - you are right does not make sense to mix rgb and yuv for the offline anyways.
thank you for your time
best
s

Return to posts index

Paul Provost
on May 21, 2011 at 6:33:09 pm

storm vs rcx

http://www.postandbeam.tv
grade and finish @ post + beam

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>