FORUMS: list search recent posts

Epic + 5d workflow in FCP

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Douglas Filiak
Epic + 5d workflow in FCP
on May 21, 2011 at 4:33:12 am

I will be editing a video for the web that is being shot with an Epic (5K) and a Canon 5d camera. What sort of transcoding settings would make sense with this? Am I wrong in thinking that either the 5K footage will need the sides trimmed off so everything is 1080p or the 5d footage will need the top/bottom trimmed (or letterboxed) to match the 5K aspect ratio?

I am also curious about transcoding formats. Right now I am converting the r3d files to PRORES444 with half (premium) debayer settings.

Also, this will need to ship to a colorist who I assume will want the FCP project with transcoded media as well as the r3d files.

All the RED projects I have worked on in the past have had assistants doing the transcoding. This is the first time I am doing it solo.

Suggestions and tips welcome.

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Epic + 5d workflow in FCP
on May 21, 2011 at 6:40:48 am

What format ratio are they shooting the Epic in? that would determine how the downconvert will look- i.e. will it require matting.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on May 21, 2011 at 8:37:19 am

If there is a considerable part of the final footage from the 5D, keep the EPIC at 16:9 ratio, so you don't need to crop and scale the 5D stuff – it will look poor in comparison anyway. What's your delivery?

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

Thomas Pohl
on Aug 21, 2011 at 5:49:05 am

If you are working on a 1080p or lower resolution project it can work. If I combine Canon DLSRs with RED I make sure that the DLSR Setting are really neutral while recording. By the way: After I changed now from FCP to Premiere it's much easier to combine RED RAW with other formats because you can edit the RMD Meta Data directly in your session. This gives you the ability to compare your footage easier while cutting.

Cheers
Thomas.

http://www.footage-online.de - RED footage and more available in HD, SD and RED RAW R3D

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]