FORUMS: list search recent posts

Soft pictures

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marcus Thomas
Soft pictures
on May 12, 2011 at 3:15:10 pm

I'm a director working mainly on commercials. DOP's rave about the RED but every time i use it and go through post (online only) my rushes are ever so slightly soft. We grade on a lustre and master on a smoke and every commercial i make we run through a sharpen filter. Can anyone explain why this is or if it's normal?

thanks

Marcus

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Soft pictures
on May 12, 2011 at 4:27:03 pm

Post a still. One man's soft is another man's sharp. Also greatly depends on the formats you're using to grade and the gear involved. Obviously RED 4K shot with good glass and in focus is about the highest resolution digital motion picture format in use today. Although sharpness is often subjective....

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on May 12, 2011 at 5:56:28 pm

Marcus,

It is a fact that RED decided to add NO SHARPENING in camera and instead left the sharpening "to taste" Other camera's do sharpen and that sharpening is "baked in".

With RED they left the amount of sharpening up to the director/DP/Colorist instead of sharpening at the record stage.

David

Peace

Return to posts index

Kris Anderson
on May 17, 2011 at 10:50:10 pm

I've shot and seen a bunch of RED One footage, never had any issues with 'softness'. Though it is trickier focussing at 4k.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]