FORUMS: list search recent posts

Better format to shoot and interaction with other cameras

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Francisco Bech Gómez
Better format to shoot and interaction with other cameras
on May 10, 2011 at 12:26:08 pm

Hello to everyone

I been looking to different cameras for a documentary project with interviews. I am considering the Red One because I may find a good deal but I dont have experience with the RED

The content of the project is, interviews in different settings with lighting, not point and shoot. Some following of the main charactar in streets etc. the camera would have to be in the shoulder some times. An then a concert at the end

These are my doubts

1) Is there a big difference in qualitu between 4k and 2k, I mean, is the 4K going to look better or is just a matter of size? If I shoot 4k and then convert to 2K, is this the best way to go 2K?

2)I am talking about 2K , because I would like to have a second unit to be more point and shoot ready just in case, and maybe include some close shots of this second unit. I was looking at the Sony F3 and The Pana HVX200. 1080p is bit less than 2K, so , could it be possible to include some shots from this cameras in the editing? would you note the difference a lot? I am thinking about close shots, not big or general shots.

3) There is a concert at the end, so, since is impossible for me to get 5 Red ones, I was thiking about the red one in a crane for the big shots and F3 or Hvx 200 for close shots on stage, is this crazy?

4) What is the storage hardrive comsuption when you shot in 4K? I heard is like 1 GB per minute, is that accurate?

Thanks a lot!

Return to posts index

David Battistella
Re: Better format to shoot and interaction with other cameras
on May 10, 2011 at 2:14:30 pm

Francisco,

My biggest concern reading your post is the number of different kinds of cameras you want to use. If I was a DP on this shoot I would be concerned about matching all of those sources.

RED ONE is a 4K camera. In "2K mode" you are not using the FULL SENSOR size and you change the focal length of the lens attached to the camera.

If you had a 50mm lens on teh RED then it becomes a 100mm in 2K. So unless you are going to shoot everything 2K with the RED one with lenses designed for that frame size (which I would not reccomend) then I think you can just soot everything 4K and create the 2K or 1920x1080 files for your finish.

it's more like 2gb per minute with the RED.

It sounds to me like you should go with as many HVX 200's as you can get your hands on. If you are looking at RED as a way of matching it in 2K mode to the point and shoots then maybe it might be a better idea to shoot with matching camera's.

IN terms of multicamera concert - try to capture it all with the same type of camera or you could be in for a post production nightmare.

david

Peace

Return to posts index

Francisco Bech Gómez
on May 10, 2011 at 2:32:22 pm

Hi, thanks for the input

I terms of matching cameras, all the main footage is going to be RED, i just wan to have a second camera in case of something interesting happens ans the red is not ready, so it would be maybe just a few shots of this. I want to know if a 1080p footage from a F3 or the Pana would fit in pospro in a RED 2K project or would look weird,

cheers

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on May 10, 2011 at 3:02:33 pm

Why not test it.

Go out and shoot some RED and some F3 and some Panasonic footage and then slam it all into a timeline and see if you are satisfied with the results.

Testing is a very good way to figure this stuff out.

David

Peace

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on May 10, 2011 at 4:57:38 pm

Yeah it really depends where it's going to live in post. RED 4K downconverted for a 1080p project looks awesome but is it awesome enough to justify the hugely extra expense over say a suite of HVX200s- well that's up to your budget. If money is no object then I'd say get all REDs and don't bother with any other cameras.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

Francisco Bech Gómez
on May 10, 2011 at 5:24:40 pm

Well, money is actaully a point, I sould not afford a secon Red and shooting a concer with 5 Reds. But I couñd do that with the F3 for example and definetelly with the HVx200. but then on the other side I really like the image and the fact of doing a project with red it would be much more interesting on a proffesional side. So I have to choose, Red and inserts from something else or a less expensive camera, I will try to make a test though as suggested.

The F3 looks nice, but the thing with me and Sony cameras is that they look a bit cold and sharp, Can this be chaned in postproducction? maye adding a 1% blur for that sharpness

Pana and Red has a more organic look for me,

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on May 10, 2011 at 7:16:37 pm

Yeah well it's again entirely up to you and your budget stretching skills, this is not really a technical discussion anymore. Yes a good colorist would be able to get a closer match but no way is 1080p going to like identical to 4K origination.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on May 10, 2011 at 9:18:40 pm

But you can turn down sharpness even in a Sony…

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

Francisco Bech Gómez
on May 11, 2011 at 12:14:57 am

What would be the technique to do that?

Cheers!

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on May 11, 2011 at 7:26:06 am

Menu ?

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on May 11, 2011 at 10:58:35 am

Hey,

I have an idia.

Try this website:

http://www.googleforidiots.com/

Type in SONY F3 Manual. On page 72 you will find that you can indeed change the detail settings of the camera and save it to a camera profile look file.

:) Sorry I just could not resist. We are all pretty generous at the COW but asking us questions a little common sense and google can answer is beyond reasonalbe. Everyone has been patient with the requests so far, but you should do a bit of your own research and testing now and report back when you have a few things sorted out.

Peace

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on May 11, 2011 at 3:51:06 pm

Or even better- :)

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=SONY+F3+Manual

-Noah

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]