FORUMS: list search recent posts

Considering RED-first time user

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Patrick Fries
Considering RED-first time user
on Apr 8, 2011 at 2:16:50 am

I'm an Austin based DP/Director and we just got funded for a one hour in Afghanistan. I've been using the Panasonic HDX900 with the 5D for my time lapse and interviews and am thinking of switching to a RED Scarlet for this next project since I'll be in some very spectacular settings.

I've read the threads about the dropped frames, the card issues and the workflow and my biggest concern is that I wouldn't have a DIT with me on location. Would it be suicidal for an experienced buy like me to think that he could get up to speed in a month and then head to the sand box and come back a happy man?

We will have time to review footage each day, but there wouldn't be any tech support...no phones, no COW forums.

I love reading posts from all of the experienced people here, it's incredible informative and I figured this would be a good place to start in the hoped of avoiding a land mine (sorry the pun).

Patrick Fries

Patrick Fries
Director/DP
Arrowhead Films
Austin, Texas 512-302-1100

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Considering RED-first time user
on Apr 8, 2011 at 4:14:15 am

Unless it's a for-sure theatrical release on 35mm I'd think a RED would be bigtime gear overkill for something like that. I'd go for a lean and mean camera package that you can drop if someone starting shooting at you... 5D or other DSLR camera would be my choice.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

Gunleik Groven
on Apr 8, 2011 at 4:47:08 am

The biggest issue right now, is that there aren't any Scarlets to be bought amd as it looks, that may still be the case until this fall..

The framedrop issues, shold (note the "should") not be an issue with the Scarlet when you shoot SSD.

If you prepare for the workflow, I guess it could be a viable path.

Are you thinking of the 2/3" fixed or the S35mm Scarlet (lately re-branded as Epic-S)?

Cheers

Gunleik

http://www.gunleik.com/tests/

Return to posts index

Patrick Fries
on Apr 8, 2011 at 9:43:38 am

I was thinking the 2/3 fixed would fit my needs, but as it's been noted, this might be overkill for my needs. I was just trying to shoot a big enough frame to allow myself some flexibility down the road. But in a war zone, I don't need any complications. I've got a couple of the Panasonic HPX170's and a couple of 5D's.

I might have to catch a flight to NAB next week and put some eyeballs on all this and sort it out.

Thanks!

Patrick Fries
Director/DP
Arrowhead Films
Austin, Texas 512-302-1100

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on Apr 8, 2011 at 6:57:50 am

There is no Scarlet and nobody knows when it will be available.

Get two Panasonic AF100 or Sony F3 bodies plus lenses (whatever your budget allows) and you are covered.

I wouldn't use DSLRs these days any more – for filming, that is.

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Apr 8, 2011 at 10:08:56 pm

Yeah it's pointless to plan a production on a Scarlet right this moment. I wouldn't be too surprised if they didn't ship this year. Not meant as a slight to RED just noting they're already well behind schedule, it's not their number one priority- that would be EPIC, and the Japanese earthquake/tsunami has greatly impacted their supply lines.

To play it safe I'd stick with a camera you can buy right now or within a month. Scarlet will indeed rock when it's widely available but I'd say that's not anytime soon.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

Patrick Ortman
on Apr 12, 2011 at 5:24:36 am

Sadly I have to agree. I love RED, I make my living from their products. But... you need to shoot with the tool you can actually buy today. Scarlet is not it. Nor is Epic-X, or Epic-S.

----------------------------
PatrickOrtman, Inc.
Los Angeles Digital Agency and Video Production Company

Return to posts index

Justin McAleece
on Apr 17, 2011 at 2:05:20 am

When Scarlet ships it better be pretty amazing or there are going to be a lot of disappointed people.

Justin McAleece
Production Manager

Video Production

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]