FORUMS: list search recent posts

24FPS sync issue

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Zack Stoff
24FPS sync issue
on Mar 16, 2011 at 7:13:47 pm

I'm editing a project supposedly shot on 24FPS, but Red Cine X reads the Red files to be 25FPS. The camera asst told me this is only due to default settings in the camera, and that they definitely shot it at 24FPS. However, the sound which was recorded at 24FPS won't sync to these shots. The puzzling thing is - I tried a pull up on the sound to 25FPS and it still won't sync!

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: 24FPS sync issue
on Mar 17, 2011 at 4:48:12 am

Sounds like your basic post cluster f. :) Have you had any success syncing with other standard frame rates- 29.97, 24 frame exact, etc...

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Canon 5D Mark II and 7D.

Return to posts index

Zack Stoff
on Mar 18, 2011 at 6:37:24 am

Yes - most of the film was shot 25fps and everything else syncs fine. Just this particular footage shot at 24fps. Just got confirmation from camera that it is def 24fps, but somehow Red Cine X reads it as 25fps. Even though the sound files indicate 24fps for these clips, they won't sync to the picture. Advise I got is to convert all these clips-sound and picture-to 25fps to match the rest of the project. Have read that Cinema Tools is good for this, but never used it. May have a lab do it instead since it seems like a big job. What'ya think?

Return to posts index

Robert Pergament
on Mar 23, 2011 at 5:52:16 pm

I don't know if this is too late to help. I 'm presently working a on Red 23.98fps project and sometime during the shoot the camera was switched to 24fps. I didn't pick this up until I was syncing the material and I got the dialogue box, "this clip doesn't match your settings. Do you want to change the sequence settings to match?" I then checked the clips item properties and sure enough they were 24fps and not 23.98. I went back into Redcine X and there it also showed 24fps. This was a camera department screw up not an issue with clips coming in at the wrong frame rate. I went ahead and synced them up. Sync would drift so I would have to readjust it as I edited. I think if Redcine is reading 25fps the clips are 25fps

Return to posts index

Zack Stoff
on Mar 25, 2011 at 2:14:46 am

Thanks for your input. I heard back from Red about this issue. Turns out camera dept. created a 25fps timebase project in the Red camera, then shot these scenes in 24fps varispeed without changing the timebase settings. Therefore, the playback in Red and subsequent exporting indicates 25fps. However, if you control-click on the clip in the bin in RedCine, and choose to view metadata, you can scroll down to the bottom where it shows the "record framerate" and that correctly shows 24fps. Explanation from Red:

"It appears that the time base in camera was set to 25fps then
varispeed was enabled and the frame rate was changed to 24. Please
note that since the time base was set to 25fps in camera you will need
to use Cinema Tools or other 3rd party applications to correct this,
REDCINE-X will always export to whatever the project time base was set
to."

I have since used Cinema Tools to conform these clips to their correct 24fps even though what I'm really doing is making them recognizable to Final Cut in their native framerate! Weird little quirk.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]