FORUMS: list search recent posts

R3D to pro res in 9 hours deadline conversion - need advice asap

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob Simpkins
R3D to pro res in 9 hours deadline conversion - need advice asap
on Mar 14, 2011 at 4:21:17 pm

Hi Sorry for the urgency with this but was wondering if anyone has any advice for me on the following issue- I need to advise a client immediately if something is possible so please any thoughts/advice is greatly appreciated.

I was asked yesterday by a friend who is a producer to convert some R3D's (from a red mysterium x camera) to pros res 422 1080p. I was told it was a super tight deadline and they would deliver the rushes at 12am (GMT) When they wrap the shoot but would need the conversions done for 9am the following day (so 9 hours)

I have done loads of r3d conversions to pro res using clipfinder before but never with such a tight deadline. Due to this I have asked what specifications the machine they are providing me has.

They have just got back to me and have given me the specs - I am a little concerned as all conversions i have done in the past have been on a machine with much higher specs -

I just got an email from the producer with the details and they are as follows -

I think we'll have 300gb max of material shot at various speeds- 25fps and 100fps.

We have 2 macs and 2 mirrored hard drives so you could convert in two batches. The macs are at the following specs: (they have 2 machines i can use but i am worried there is too much material to transcode in 9 hours on the machines they have -

Particulary as alot of the material will be 100 fps footage -

RUSHES are 300gb max of material shot at various speeds- 25fps and 100fps.

They have 2 macs and 2 mirrored hard drives so you could convert in two batches

machine 1

2 x 2.66GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon
8GB of RAM

machine 2

2 x 2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
6GB of RAM

It is 1 camera, we will need all rushes
not selects and I will come back to you re color space.

---- Is this possible. it looks unlikely to me, should i just advice them to go to a post house to do this> Any thoughts would be hugely appreciated

Thank you so much, long time reader, first time poster ;)

Thank you in advance

Rob Simpkins

Final Cut Pro Editor, Producer & Videographer

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: R3D to pro res in 9 hours deadline conversion - need advice asap
on Mar 14, 2011 at 5:42:31 pm

I wouldn't promise this job without a Rocket card. Is machine 2 a laptop? What is the run time of the footage (not GBs, but actual run time)?

I am getting about a 8 to 1 ratio on an 8 core 1080p ProResLT render. So 8 hours to transcode 1 hour of footage. I bet you have around 2ish hours of footage there.

Plan accordingly.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Rob Simpkins
on Mar 14, 2011 at 5:47:41 pm

I have told the client that i dont think this can be achieved in time and they have advised me that they have a 12 core 3ghz, w 8gb ram mac in house that can be used.

Not sure of the run time of the footage but have been told it is about 300g of rushes,

Do you think this is achievable in 9 hours with no rocket card. If i split it over 2 machines. Both are towers, neither machines are laptops

cheers

Rob Simpkins

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 14, 2011 at 5:49:46 pm

You'd be cutting it close. 8 hours to transcode 1 hour of footage. If you have anymore than 2 hours, you'd be running super tight (assuming running on 2 machines), and that's if everything goes without issue.

Machine 2 is only a quad core?

Return to posts index

Rob Simpkins
on Mar 14, 2011 at 5:55:31 pm

Machine 2 is a 2 x 2.66GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon with 8gb ram. Im not sure how much footage it is but some is 100fps so im concerned.

producer seems to think its ok but im worried we wont get this done by 9am

cheers- what do you think? thanks ever so much for all your help

Rob

Rob Simpkins

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 14, 2011 at 6:10:51 pm

Not sure what else to say except what I sent in my last post:

"You'd be cutting it close. 8 hours to transcode 1 hour of footage. If you have anymore than 2 hours, you'd be running super tight (assuming running on 2 machines), and that's if everything goes without issue."

I guess I could add if you run in to issues, you are hosed.

100fps still plays back at 25 fps (or whatever the project settings in cam). That's why it's best to know running times, and not file size. File size is relative, running time is more exact.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Mar 15, 2011 at 6:06:29 am

Sounds like way too much material for that much of a rush job. This is precisely what Red Rocket is meant for. Without you're bringing a knife to a gun fight...

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Canon 5D Mark II and 7D.

Return to posts index

Rob Simpkins
on Apr 7, 2011 at 2:42:41 pm

Hey i totally forgot to reply to say thanks for all the help and advice with this, I ended up telling the client they would be better off finding someone with a more suitable machine as I didn;t wanna run the risk with it being such a tight turn around, never fun turning down work but i wasn't going to take a job where I couldn't guarantee hitting scheduled target

Thanks again for help and advice, very much appreciated

Best,

Rob

Rob Simpkins

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]