FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shot slow-mo at wrong timebase

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob LaRose
Shot slow-mo at wrong timebase
on Mar 8, 2011 at 1:39:17 am

Good afternoon, my RED-loving friends!

We have a series of overcranked shots (120fps) that were mistakenly recorded with a 24fps timecode base. They were supposed to have been 29.97, as they're going into a 29.97 edit.

Don't want pulldown -- just want the file to magically change its spots and be 29.97.

Is there a way to re-write the timecode on the raw RED source files in base-30? If not, what's the simplest way to deal with this?

I tried using CinemaTools to just "conform" to 29.97.. that sort of works, but FCP still treats it like 23.98.. so the timecode shown for the clips doesn't match the 23.98 source.

Thanks in advance for any ideas -- as you might expect, I'm under a deadline. :-/

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Shot slow-mo at wrong timebase
on Mar 8, 2011 at 4:08:08 am

I don't imagine the timecode will ever come out right... but you can simply muscle the clips in FCP to the speed you want with Time Remap. Of course not sure what your online plan is.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Canon 5D Mark II and 7D.

Return to posts index

Rob LaRose
on Mar 8, 2011 at 3:22:11 pm

Hi Noah,

Yeah -- the online is the problem. I had hoped I could just use Cinema Tools to conform to 29.97, retain the 23.98 timecode and have the source numbers be right in the EDL, but.... that doesn't seem to work (conformed 23.98 to 29.97 still behaves like 23.98 in FCP -- repeats every 5th frame)

I'm now looking down the barrel of "the hard way" -- export the 23.98 source as a frame sequence w/ visible timecode window, re-assemble as 29.97, then use the visible timecode to online (and repeat the conversion process with the online selects). But I'm really hoping there's an alternative.

Thanks for the thought!

Return to posts index

Yatri Nyuss
on Jan 27, 2012 at 2:05:39 pm

Hey Rob,

I have a similar problem. Shot a lot of footage with the wrong timebase (23,976), varispeed was set to (the correct) 25fps. Did you find a good possibility to solve that problem?

Regards,
Yatri

Return to posts index

Rob LaRose
on Jan 27, 2012 at 7:20:07 pm

Hi Yatri,

I sure didn't. Ultimately we brought all the raw footage into a Flame and made new source files with proper timecode.

--Rob

Return to posts index

Yatri Nyuss
on Jan 27, 2012 at 7:46:13 pm

Darn. Haven't seen a Flame laying around recently... So Flame just altered the timebase and generated a new .r3d file? How is it that there seems to be no software that can just change that little number somewhere in the .r3d-code?

Thanks for the reply anyways!
Yatri

Return to posts index

Rob LaRose
on Jan 27, 2012 at 7:53:28 pm

No, we output Quicktimes from Flame. I don't think you can make new R3D files.

Then just put the r3d raw files away. Came back to our sources in Flame for coloring and final.

Doesn't have to be Flame.. whatever you're using for your color / conform work should be fine.. just have to remember that the new time applied in that app is the new source, and the r3d files can't be gone back to.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]