FORUMS: list search recent posts

Panning with Red One - Jelly anyone?

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Richard
Panning with Red One - Jelly anyone?
on Feb 26, 2011 at 7:22:17 pm

Starting a new feature using Red One, had not so good results with movement with other HD digital video cameras because of rolling shutter and its attendant problems. If you have some experience with this camera can you offer observations about this effect with Red One, and if there is a way to avoid, or lessen the effect?

Please all, don't say shoot film, if I had the budget no way I'd shoot digital unless I wanted it to look digital.

Thanks,
CR

Return to posts index

David Battistella
Re: Panning with Red One - Jelly anyone?
on Feb 26, 2011 at 7:49:51 pm

Ok Craig.. I'll bite..

Here are the questions:

What build?
Did you do a restore and black shading calibration etc.?
How fast are the swish pans?

Now the advice.

Pan slower. Even a DVX 100a or an HVX 200a in 24P mode will render a lot of jitter on pans, which is normal type of motion blur for 24P source material.

If you do not like the blur you can opt to change the camera TIMEBASE to 29.97 and shoot it more "video" style. You won't see any of the normal 24P style motion blur when panning if you set teh camera in this mode.

David

Peace

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Feb 27, 2011 at 4:45:49 am

No digital camera is free of skew- but RED has about the least of any if at all. If you're used to Prosumer cameras- this is a different league. But why don't you actually test shoot something before asking this sort of subjective question...

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Canon 5D Mark II and 7D.

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on Feb 27, 2011 at 2:17:19 pm

Well, Noah, no current CMOS camera for general use is free of skew. CCDs are!

But I second the observation that the RED is among the best already and the EPIC I saw at IBC is even better.

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]