FORUMS: list search recent posts

RED Recording Time

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Wyatt Keel
RED Recording Time
on Jan 18, 2011 at 9:57:54 pm

Hello, I am in charge of gathering information for new equipment for my company and I am considering getting a few RED One cameras. Our production house does several videos per year, and at least 4 live shows a year that last around an hour. I am wondering how long the RED cameras can continuously shoot because of our live show requirements. If anyone has an answer to this question, that would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
Re: RED Recording Time
on Jan 18, 2011 at 10:13:12 pm

The RED One is no video camera! Can you please explain why you want it?

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

Wyatt Keel
on Jan 18, 2011 at 10:30:42 pm

The main use of the camera will be for filming the various PSA's and informational videos that we do. We do pieces with police, and firefighters so I want a good camera that can do variable frame rates and that has a full frame sensor. But I just need to know if the RED will also fulfill our needs for the live shows

Return to posts index

Wyatt Keel
on Jan 18, 2011 at 10:49:59 pm

I guess that last reply wasn't as clear as you probably were expecting. I work for a tribal government, so we work with many different kinds of productions. We do PSA's that end up in Washington DC, and so all of the productions we do have to be pristine quality. I love the quality and resolution of the RED One cameras. We currently are using a few of the dSLR cameras and Panasonic 900 cameras for what we do. We are about to enter a major upgrade phase and are looking at what the best options are. Our superiors really love the DOF that the SLR cameras offer, but they do not work with our jib, and can obviously not handle the live shows that we do. I have calculated what we would need for a RED setup and if we got more dSLR and Panasonic cameras. The amount we would spend would be around the same, however the quality of the RED would blow anything out of the water. We would love the extra resolution to work with in post for graphics, visuals, etc. So again, I just want to know what the longest the RED One can record is. I hope that is a little more detailed reply.

Return to posts index

Sam Roberts
on Jan 19, 2011 at 12:30:29 am

It depends what settings you are using on the camera. I would guess that for the work you do the camera would probably be set to shoot 4KHD at 24fps with a quality setting of RECODE 36.

With these settings I get about 2GB a minute, a little under 8mins on a 16gb CF card. You can also use the 320GB hard drive but you would have to buy it used as RED doesn't make them anymore.

They have a new SSD recording system that gives you more options-
64gb, 128gb, and 256gb. I am not sure if this new system actually record faster or not as I've seen no specs. Perhaps someone else can answer that question.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jan 19, 2011 at 2:40:28 am

They can go a while on hard drives- but you should understand that with lenses all in and everything you need to make these cameras do their thing you're talking easily $50K+ per camera. If you're doing 4 productions a year I'd consider renting for the first few shows to see if this is really a good match.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Canon 5D Mark II and 7D.

Return to posts index

Wyatt Keel
on Jan 19, 2011 at 3:07:26 am

Trust me, I've done my research. And I know that it's going to be a chunk of change. It's in the budget however. The Panasonic cameras that are also on the table are about $60K per camera plus a $30K deck. But thanks for the answers

Wyatt Keel
Producer - Chickasaw Nation Multimedia

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on Jan 19, 2011 at 10:56:49 am

So, I suppose you're heading for the Epic. It's going to have a pristine HDTV output, they say, so you could always record to a machine like the KiPro by AJA or the like (Convergent, Ninja).

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]