FORUMS: list search recent posts

reframing a 4K Red image

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Semans
reframing a 4K Red image
on Jan 11, 2011 at 4:07:19 am

Hello!

I recently directed a film shot on the Red. I wish to reframe a number of shots, but I'm not sure how far I can push in on an image before I'll start getting noticeable image degradation/blur when the film is projected at 4K. I've been told not to exceed 115%, but others have told me I can safely go much further. Is there a general rule on this?

Thanks,
Andrew

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
Re: reframing a 4K Red image
on Jan 11, 2011 at 8:44:55 am

Are you really screening in 4K?
Most films in theaters are still shown in 2K! If it's really 4K, I wouldn't go much further than 115%, but 2K will give you much more.

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

Andrew Semans
on Jan 11, 2011 at 3:41:37 pm

Hi, Uli

In all likelihood, we'll be screening in 2K, but there's a possibility that we might screen in 4K. Is there a general rule for reframing for 2K exhibition? I'd love to punch in 130 - 140%, but it feels pretty risky.

Thanks!
Andrew

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Jan 11, 2011 at 3:55:50 pm

Try to remember that 4K is 4 times the information of 2K. That means you can fit about 4 2K frames in a 4K frame. Punching in to 150 is fine for a 2K delivery but it also depends on the quality of the image, the surrounding shots, etc. There are a lot of factors.

Why not run some tests to help solve the problem.

David

Peace

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]