FORUMS: list search recent posts

Converting .r3d to DVCPRO HD 1080 or AVC-Intra 1080

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Josh Wallace
Converting .r3d to DVCPRO HD 1080 or AVC-Intra 1080
on Dec 20, 2010 at 5:24:33 pm

Hi there,

I am planning to convert .r3d to ProRes Proxy for an offline, conform to ProRes HQ for an online.

Unforunately I am also obliged to provide all of the rushes from the programme ( 50-80 hours approx ) as either DVCPRO HD 1080 or AVC-Intra 1080 Quicktimes to the Library of the broadcaster commissioning the programme. They don't accept .r3d files or ProRes of any flavour.

So my question is, does anyone know of a simple and/or cheap method of converting red rushes directly to either codec on a Mac? I don't want to have to make full res ProRes HQ versions of everything in order to transcode to DVCPRO HD or AVC-Intra.

REDCine, REDRushes, REDAlert, Clipfinder, et al all seem to allow rendering to DVCPRO HD 720 but not DVCPRO HD 1080.

I may even be able to use the DVCPRO HD 1080 or AVC-Intra 100 versions as the offline "proxies" as well, saving the initial conversion to ProRes Proxy.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
Re: Converting .r3d to DVCPRO HD 1080 or AVC-Intra 1080
on Dec 25, 2010 at 4:08:30 pm

Never use AVCHD for editing in FCP, it's dead slow.
DVCPro HD is pretty light, though, and quite useable for offlining RED. It's there if you have FCP installed, was actually the first HD format FCP ever supported. You can use any program handling R3D to QuickTime on the same machine, like RC-X, Clipfinder or Storm beta.

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]