FORUMS: list search recent posts

4k in color

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mauro Moreira
4k in color
on Dec 14, 2010 at 2:39:54 pm

Hey guys, i know thats a beginner question, but i`ve searched a lot in the forum and i still have the doubt.

I have some footage shot in red one mysterium x, 4k 23,98, and used the L&T to proxy, edited, used media manager to create offline and reconnected the clips with L&T to the Native. But, when a i send it to color, the resolution is 2k, just like in FCP.

My question is, if i resize the clip in Color (in the project settings) to 4k, it will be acessing the .r3d or will be scaling the 2k clip? (the Red tab is activated in the color projetc)

Another thing, why does this red generated 2 r3d files per folder? Is it normal?

Thanks,
Mauro Moreira

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: 4k in color
on Dec 14, 2010 at 4:53:43 pm

[Mauro Moreira] "My question is, if i resize the clip in Color (in the project settings) to 4k, it will be acessing the .r3d "

Yes. You must change this in Color as FCP can't go to 4k.

[Mauro Moreira] "Another thing, why does this red generated 2 r3d files per folder? Is it normal?"

Spanned clips. Due to the internal formatting of Red media, clips are only 2GBs in size. After that a new file is created. Perfectly normal.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Mauro Moreira
on Dec 14, 2010 at 4:59:16 pm

Thanks Jeremy!
Do you think my workflow is ok?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 14, 2010 at 5:02:49 pm

Absolutely. If you need a 4k output out of Color, it is totally valid.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Mauro Moreira
on Dec 14, 2010 at 5:25:46 pm

Nice, i was thinking about it again, and realized that when i used L&T again to reconnect to NATIVE, it created a 2k from the r3d, isn`t it? In this case, in color, i`m referenced to the 2k from this second L$T process or direct to the r3d?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 14, 2010 at 5:58:15 pm

[Mauro Moreira] "and realized that when i used L&T again to reconnect to NATIVE, it created a 2k from the r3d, isn`t it?"

It's a QT wrapper, but Color can access the 4K. Need to set everything to full res and change pixel size IN COLOR. You need the Red fcs3 installer as well.

The whitepaper explains it all pretty well.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Mauro Moreira
on Dec 14, 2010 at 6:15:51 pm

Thanks!
I read the white paper, but, i didn`t understand the "qt wrapper" really meant, by now i think i kno!
Thanks a lot, i really helped me here, now i`ve got all the planning done to edit and do post!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 14, 2010 at 6:31:33 pm

Because FCP can't read the RedCode natively, so it has to wrap it in Quicktime. Color, on the other hand, has greater access to the RedCode. So, if you follow the proper steps of changing your project to 4k frame size (and letting Color "scale" the clips accordingly) you should have a scale factor of 1.000 in the geometry room (make sure to double check). At this frame size, all scaling effects are baked in to your renders so be sure you're framed accurately in Color before rendering. You also need to set your render outputs to full.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]