FORUMS: list search recent posts

Fine Cut - Next Step - Output from FCP?

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Drewe
Fine Cut - Next Step - Output from FCP?
on Dec 12, 2010 at 10:04:56 pm

Hello,

I've been editing a short film, originally shot on RED, in FCP - I did the Log and Transfer option to ProRes 422 (HQ) and have been editing 2K at 2048X1024 at 23.98 FPS. It's worked perfectly thus far, and I've got the 8 scenes down to a state of Fine Cut.

My next steps before I can officially close the book on the image portion of the project is SFX (nothing fancy, mostly fixes to images in the BG) and Color Correction. Now I'm passing these portions of the project off to other professionals to handle - but this is where I've hit a snag - and it's entirely out of inexperience, so please bear with me (I'm self-taught as an editor, so a lot of this is "learn as you go").

I know that I need to have the scenes in picture lock before handing it off to Colour/SFX; and I'm 80% sure that colour is the last step in the image process, but I need clarification on that if possible. Right now, I *think* I have to send the footage to my SFX artist first, then when I get the footage back prepare to send the footage back to Colour Correction. Am I assuming correctly?

Secondly, what are my best options for sending the footage to SFX (Assuming that's what I need to do next)? If I render out uncompressed .mov's with the 23.98 FPS and 2K settings, would that be sufficient? Or is there a certain industry standard for outputting the footage for SFX? I can tell you that right now I'm very comfortable having the finished project as 2K resolution - we're not (or very likely "not") going to be printing the final project to film and I've read on the forums that 4K final output is typically only used if one is printing to film.

Since we're also going to create DVDs and Blu-Rays of the final project, we'll be going down in resolution for the finished product anyway.

Some advice would be helpful; I'm sorry if this topic has been tackled before.

Mark

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Fine Cut - Next Step - Output from FCP?
on Dec 13, 2010 at 3:11:14 am

yes- you color grade after VFX not before- otherwise those shots won't match everything else around them. As for what the SFX people want- ask them. Generally speaking most VFX people greatly prefer image sequences of TIF or TGA rather than a movie file- but that's why you ask.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Canon 5D Mark II and 7D.

Return to posts index

Mark Drewe
Re: Fine Cut - Next Step - Output from FCP?
on Dec 15, 2010 at 3:31:21 am

Thanks Noah! - As always, you are an valuable source of information.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]